Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Removing piece of foam from intake (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/removing-piece-of-foam-from-intake-30494.html)

jcort2012 11-02-2011 12:19 PM

Removing piece of foam from intake

Hello.

Has anyone removed the piece of foam located under the hood that restricts the airflow to the intake? Will it be a good idea using the OEM air filter?

Thanks

Terminator2 11-02-2011 12:48 PM

Re: Removing piece of foam from intake

That piece helps block snow from getting into the snorkel. Since I never see snow I removed the foam piece and the weather strip on the hood.

jcort2012 11-02-2011 12:57 PM

LOL, I live in Puerto Rico, no snow here either. Did you notice any change?

Terminator2 11-02-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcort2012 (Post 507979)
LOL, I live in Puerto Rico, no snow here either. Did you notice any change?

No not really but I thought the hood weather strip was hideous and so was that piece of foam so once I knew that it was for the purposes of blocking snow which we never have I removed it.

chucksc 11-02-2011 01:59 PM

If you guys look back through this forum you'll see thatfoam and weather strip were added to prevent water ingestion and thus hydrolock...

bigpanda 11-02-2011 04:46 PM

They say snow, I say water.

Uncle Paul 11-02-2011 06:10 PM

No telling for sure, but the earlier production did not come with the strip. Jeep added this after they detected some problems.

You can take it off till you notice a problem too.

(but probably to direct snow and water away from the intake.) Maybe when fording streams or if you hit a large water puddle.

Would not remove it if it was me.

70th 11-02-2011 08:04 PM

Amigo, beware of this.

jcort2012 11-03-2011 08:32 PM

thanks guys, it will stay there

jeep2011 11-11-2011 08:35 PM

I had an early 2011 without the foam piece. I drove through flood waters and water in off road conditions I never saw any make it into the intake tube. I have a late model 2011 with the foam piece and see no difference. I would assume it was added for extreme conditions or for morons that think a Jeep is invincible.

elvisisdead 11-12-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 513822)
I had an early 2011 without the foam piece. I drove through flood waters and water in off road conditions I never saw any make it into the intake tube. I have a late model 2011 with the foam piece and see no difference. I would assume it was added for extreme conditions or for morons that think a Jeep is invincible.

Sounds like you made a snow diverter out of $1K bills....

Huntingman2706217 12-18-2011 08:57 PM

posted on another thread earlier about this but Nissan had a recall on the altimas when i worked there to put a plate in front of the intake snorkle tube as well... reason: ciggs getting thrown down the intake and catching the filter on fire... i removed mine today... although i removed my top box and filter and installed a longer cone filter from Oreillys right to the end of the black tube... and a Mr. Gasket chrome little mini filter on the breather tube... ill post up what i did after the holidays if i decide to stick around and pay up... can always email them to someone if ya want... actually gonna post them on my other forum...