Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Knocking Sound From Transmission When Stopped In Drive And Revers (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/knocking-sound-from-transmission-when-stopped-in-drive-and-revers-30517.html)

SiLlYcHeEsEmAn 11-02-2011 10:17 PM

Knocking Sound From Transmission When Stopped In Drive And Revers

Hi all,

I am new to Jeep. Just picked up a 2012 GC Laredo X three weeks ago. I have noticed that when I am driving and I come to a stop, I hear a knocking noise coming from somewhere in front of the car. It sounds like it may be around the transmission area. At times it is very low, but at other times it gets a little loud. It only happens if I am in gear but am at a complete stop. I hear it in drive and reverse, but not in neutral or park. It doesn't always happen, and if it does and I switch to neutral and back to drive it stops. I brought it in to the dealership the week I got it and the service manager took a ride with me. When I pointed out the sound to him it was pretty low and he said he knew what it was. He explained that with the V6's this sound is common, and went into explaining the two intakes and two exhausts and how the oil flowing produces this noise. He said it was normal in most of these cars and I had nothing to worry about. If this is the case, I am fine with it, but it just seems strange to me that a brand new car will produce noise like this. As I stated this is my first Jeep, and my first SUV, so I have no experience with these vehicles. Does anybody else hear this noise. Should I be concerned with it? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

77Cherokee 11-03-2011 09:15 AM

Re: Knocking Sound From Transmission When Stopped In Drive And Revers

I don't think flowing oil makes a knocking noise. That is not a normal sound. Time to visit another dealer. ;)

SiLlYcHeEsEmAn 11-03-2011 11:15 AM

Yeah, I figured he was feeding me BS. Just wondering if anyone else had been experiencing this. I love the truck, but that noise is really getting to me.

carclinic1 11-03-2011 01:11 PM

Here is a bulletin for something that might be your problem.

hxxp://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2100111.pdf

Not too sure if links are allowed, but swap the xx with tt in the above link. hope it helps

CAR.

SiLlYcHeEsEmAn 11-03-2011 03:41 PM

Hey carclinic1. Thank you for the help. I did see that bulletin in the forums, but it refers to a 2011 and I have a 2012. Can it be the same issue, and if so will they even honor that because it says for 2011 models?

Cherodude 11-03-2011 05:50 PM

Hey guys, links are allowed, especially to the wk2jeeps site. That's Milous-land.