Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Mounting Secondhand ARB Bullbar (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/mounting-secondhand-arb-bullbar-30525.html)

Ypahihi 11-03-2011 08:09 AM

Mounting Secondhand ARB Bullbar

Evening All,

Currently preparing to mount a second hand ARB bullbar to the WJ. The bullbar was damaged and I got it repaired with a local Engineering firm and it looks almost good as new.
Can someone please advise if I need to do anything with the airbags before I mount it (disconnect the module)?
I dismantled the b/bar off a wrecked WJ that I bought and have the 4 x mounts and will be purchasing new high tensile bolts and nuts for the install. I did note that the airbag had not activated on the wreck (it had sustained side damage to the b/bar and am wondering if the previous owner had just disconnected the airbags.
To date I have swapped out springs and shockies and now have an extra 300mm lift and have swapped out faulty side mirrors, lock and window motors and other cosmetic bits and peices.
Any thoughts would be helpful..........:D

206WJ 11-03-2011 08:58 PM

Re: Mounting Secondhand ARB Bullbar

No need to disconnect the airbag at all. It's not too hard of an install. You will have to "modify" a couple parts (With a sledge), cut your inner fender liner a bit, and a high lift jack helps get it on just right. Took me forever to get the gaps correct the first couple times, now its cake.

You may however have one slight problem. The '00 WJ doesn't use the same cooling ststem and may overheat with the ARB.

From install manual:
WHEN FITTING THIS BULL BAR TO 1998 TO 2000 MODELS ONLY. IT IS RECOMMENDED
THAT THE VEHICLES HYDRAULIC COOLING SYSTEM BE UPGRADED TO 2001 TO 2003
SPECIFICATION.
INSTALLATION OF THIS BULL BAR TO THE EARLIER MODELS WITHOUT THE
COOLING SYSTEM UPGRADE MAY RESULT IN THE VEHICLE RUNNING HOTTER
THAN NORMAL.

206WJ 11-03-2011 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This may help.

Ypahihi 11-04-2011 11:37 AM

206WJ,

Thank you for the info and the link. It looks like I have a bit further to go before installing the bullbar. Kind of hoping the upgraded hydraulic cooling system means the additional gear the previous owner had installed. I have 2 x additional small radiators (not sure what they do)as well as the engine radiator, mechanical fan and the electric fan as well.
Am thinking about making a grille (rather than cutting it out) and engine stone plate / guard using amplimesh (306 stainless mesh), that way it will still provide protection and unrestricted airflow. This is providing it's not to expensive.
Thaanks again

Noticed that I will need to cut the grille

206WJ 11-04-2011 05:29 PM

You shouldn't need to cut the grill. I didn't. That's for the 04 models I believe. When the grill was re-designed it was attached to the bumper.

Sent from my wp7 using Board Express