Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Adding a FOBIK to a 2011 JGC? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/adding-a-fobik-to-a-2011-jgc-30527.html)

j4jeeps 11-03-2011 08:37 AM

Adding a FOBIK to a 2011 JGC?

I've seen a number of posts, but I'm still not clear on if I can self program a FOBIK for a 2011 JGC myself, or if I have to go to a dealer to get full functionality. I see a lot of people saying they got it partially working and/or pointing at a 2008 article for program the charger keys, but never saw anyone confirm they got a full working key after following the directions.

Stats on my Jeep:
* I have both factory keys / fobiks.
* I have push button start
* I have passive enter and go (or whatever it's called)

Can anyone answer and CONFIRM the following questions?

1) Assuming I purchase the right part number, can I self program a key by popping out the push button start, and cycling through the three keys per the instructions already posted online.

2) When programmed will it work for all functions: RKE, Push Start, all other remote functions (remote starter, windows, unlock, rear gate, etc)

3) Is there any way to use a used FOBIK (assuming same part number) there are a few ebay sellers claiming they have reset keys. If not, can someone explain how the key is actually bound to the unit.

4) Which modules are involved in what? I think this is correct, but can someone set me straight:
WIN -- Wireless Ignition Node -- This handles the keyless / push button start.
PEM -- Passive Entry Module -- This handles the door unlock.

Am I missing anything?

Wxchaser 11-04-2011 03:08 AM

Re: Adding a FOBIK to a 2011 JGC?

I'm glad I read this post because when I first saw the topic - I thought WTH is a FOBIK?

bbjrhome 11-04-2011 04:22 AM

Yea, it's a catchy newer acronym not many are familiar with. We all get the meaning once we see the context of the dicussion.

Definition - Frequency Operated Button Integrated Key. IT's a FOB + Integrated Key = FOBIK

Many vehicles have key FOBs (Frequency Operated Button) remotes that unlock, lock, start and enable "panic" mode but you have a separate key to operate the ignition. More and more manufacturers are going to a integrated FOB + Key. AKA ---> FOBIK

Wxchaser 11-04-2011 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbjrhome (Post 508901)
Yea, it's a catchy newer acronym not many are familiar with. We all get the meaning once we see the context of the dicussion.

Definition - Frequency Operated Button Integrated Key. IT's a FOB + Integrated Key = FOBIK

Many vehicles have key FOBs (Frequency Operated Button) remotes that unlock, lock, start and enable "panic" mode but you have a separate key to operate the ignition. More and more manufacturers are going to a integrated FOB + Key. AKA ---> FOBIK

Great definition, thanks!

Deserthucker 11-04-2011 08:07 AM

There is a TSB out with instructions if the WIN needs replacing then both FOBIK need to be replaced.
So I don't think they can be reprogrammed or cleared.

Someone needs to be a guinea pig!

moosehead 11-04-2011 08:45 AM

OP, as a heads up I would not recommend buying a Fob from ebay, or anything other than a new unit from Jeep/chryco. I did so and it caused my Pem to go bad. My dealer was nice enough to replace the Pem for me on warranty but it was beyond normal to do so. Apparently, you can program a third Fobik yourself so long as you have two other programmed fobs in hand, but I didn't get far due to the above. YMMV.

j4jeeps 11-04-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 508983)
OP, as a heads up I would not recommend buying a Fob from ebay, or anything other than a new unit from Jeep/chryco. I did so and it caused my Pem to go bad.

What did the dealer say went bad with it? I'm unclear how even an incorrectly coded FOB could kill the PEM, I'd think the PEM would just reject bad keys, not kill itself?

What model year JGC was that PEM from?

Deserthucker 11-04-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j4jeeps (Post 509116)
What did the dealer say went bad with it? I'm unclear how even an incorrectly coded FOB could kill the PEM, I'd think the PEM would just reject bad keys, not kill itself?

What model year JGC was that PEM from?

Compromised security code will kill a PEM