Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Electric brake controller (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/electric-brake-controller-30574.html)

tyresmoker 11-04-2011 08:41 AM

Electric brake controller

Anybody install an electric brake controller yet?
According to the instructions that came with the pigtail in the glovebox, it says the female end is to the left of the steering column, under the dash, "taped up"?!?!? Looked, and saw nothing..
Also, the wiring diagram calls out colors and tracers that do not coorespond with the pigtail included?
Oh how I miss my Fords!!

Kevlars 11-04-2011 12:24 PM

Re: Electric brake controller

Can you tell me what this is for?

GFY8 11-04-2011 12:51 PM

It's for When you are towing a trailer equipped with brakes. It allows you to control them.

Here is a detailed wiki explanation.

A brake controller is usually an oem or aftermarket installed device or module. It is mounted to the tow vehicle's drivers side dashboard area that engages a trailer’s braking system time delayed or proportional to the tow vehicle's brake engagement when slowing down or coming to a halt. A brake controller is not needed with a trailer surge braking system unless using modern electric over hydraulic devices.
Most basic brake controllers will generally have a +/- gain adjustment. The tow vehicle operator would set the gain as high as possible but without the trailer brakes locking-up after making a few test stops. The heavier the trailer, the higher the gain adjustment would be set and therefore the less chances of wheel lock-up.
A wide range of trailers will contain trailer brakes (for example; larger boats trailers, horse trailers, covered utility trailers, travel trailers including small 10-foot and longer tent trailers and car carriers). Smaller trailers may not contain trailer brakes (for example; basic 4'x8' utility trailers). It is highly recommended that if the total trailer weight is over a couple thousand pounds, the trailer needs to have some sort of braking system and the tow vehicle be equipped with a brake controller.

tyresmoker 11-04-2011 02:14 PM

Are you serious???
Did you buy your Jeeps to look at or use?
Just over 1k miles and already driven through and covered with mud, rocks and crushed asphalt (all work related)
On my way to pick up a 6k trailer to tow all over creation!

Kevlars 11-04-2011 05:13 PM

Ya I use my Jeep and have had it off road pleanty of times and .. a dirt road does not count. I just dont tow anything.

ilber 11-04-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyresmoker (Post 508980)
Anybody install an electric brake controller yet?
According to the instructions that came with the pigtail in the glovebox, it says the female end is to the left of the steering column, under the dash, "taped up"?!?!? Looked, and saw nothing..
Also, the wiring diagram calls out colors and tracers that do not coorespond with the pigtail included?
Oh how I miss my Fords!!

if you search here there were pictures posted early spring on this exact topic. if you have the tow package, not dealer installed option, the plug is there( for exception of a very first batch of vehicles, i believe)

andyh 11-04-2011 06:10 PM

I use a Tekonsha Prodigy P2. Works as it should.

I didn't use the cable in the glovebox. I bought the pre-made cable for my controller. Took like 3 min to install.

tyresmoker 11-05-2011 07:51 AM

Thanks for the tips. I figured out which wires were for what on the pigtail that was in the glovebox. I will take another look for the female connector under the dash. It must be burried under there!

Redboots 11-05-2011 09:13 AM

Can you post the "which wires are for what" colors? I'm going to be doing the same thing as soon as mine arrives. Thanks.

BimmerAgent 11-05-2011 11:26 PM

I also installed a Prodigy P2. The connector is hard to find....IIRC it's taped to another connector box on the left side of the steering column, up a ways from the bottom of the cover. It's kind of hidden, but it's there. Bruce

mjw930 11-07-2011 09:43 PM

The pigtail color codes are in this post http://www.jeepgarage.org/showpost.p...02&postcount=9

Redboots 11-08-2011 09:53 AM

Thanks. I thought I had seen that somewhere before.