Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Optimum Location for E-Z Pass Card (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/optimum-location-for-e-z-pass-card-30619.html)

Lingohocken 11-05-2011 12:02 AM

Optimum Location for E-Z Pass Card

Has a "sweet spot" been determined for an E-Z Pass card? There doesn't appear to be a dedicated cavity for it in the WK2.

77Cherokee 11-05-2011 08:43 AM

Re: Optimum Location for E-Z Pass Card

Do you actually have a card? Mine is a plastic box, about 3/8" thick, that sticks on the windshield. I have it mounted to the right of and just below the mirror. I haven't passed a toll with it yet but it should work fine mounted there.

Lingohocken 11-05-2011 12:21 PM

They still use the box you describe, but looking ahead they're moving on to something more like a card. Cheaper, much smaller and eventually will work in more states.

Either way, it would make sense to have a hidden spot for these, like garage door openers. I thought maybe I missed spotting something like this on the WK2.

77Cherokee 11-05-2011 05:25 PM

I haven't seen that on any vehicles yet. Is that technology in use in other areas? If there is enough demand, the manufacturers might invest in engineering such a place. In the meantime I guess it could be fastened to the top side of the visor.

robpp 11-05-2011 06:41 PM

ours used to be the same as ezpass the white box....then you could get a license pplate mount.

now they sent me a little sticker......its about 3 inches long by 1 inch. it has the transmitter built in.

fljeepleo 11-05-2011 07:06 PM

Here in florida it's a little sticker that goes on the front windshield. No batteries no beeping, it's pretty nice.

nek121328 11-05-2011 08:15 PM

I'd stay away from the license plate mount as if it should get seriously damaged, you'd have to purchase another unit.

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-05-2011 09:46 PM

i have my ezpass under my dash board above my gauges. dont think that is possible in the wk2 but it is totally hidden in mine

Lingohocken 11-05-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fljeepleo (Post 509773)
Here in florida it's a little sticker that goes on the front windshield. No batteries no beeping, it's pretty nice.

Florida, California, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and some other states don't use E-Z pass -- they have their own proprietary systems. However, there appears to be a slow move towards E-Z Pass as the standard for some of these states in the years to come. For that reason, E-Z Pass is moving next year from a clunky hard box to what's being described as a card of sorts. End result is that the card will cost a third as much as the current box, and will work with the expanded states' E-Z Pass network.

Maybe by then automobile manufacturers will start including a nook or slot where these can work optimally yet be out of sight. Something needs to be done, because the number of tolled roads is expected to rise, while cash toll collection is being phased down to the point where at some exits you won't be able to pay with cash.

Anyhow, thanks for all the answers.

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-05-2011 09:46 PM

http://www.jeepgarage.org/picture.ph...&pictureid=972

it reads perfectly for over 2 years

Lingohocken 11-05-2011 11:07 PM

Interesting. You'd think that engine heat and the elements would get to it, but your experience indicates otherwise. Thanks!

Jeepdewd 11-06-2011 07:18 AM

I got a plate mount.. and stuck it behind the lower grill..can't even tell it's behind there..