Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   USB problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/usb-problems-30645.html)

drhippo 11-05-2011 03:20 PM

USB problems

hi all

just purchased a 2012 GC Overland Summit....thus far, love it, all is great...but one question I can't seem to get addressed:

I'm trying to upload files to the harddrive using the USB, to which I have copied music files. BUT, when I follow the procedure, the USB icon is greyed out, as if it's not being read...thus, I cannot transfer the files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-05-2011 03:28 PM

Re: USB problems

Welcome! Are you sure the files are in the proper format?

drhippo 11-05-2011 04:22 PM

thanks...humm, maybe not...I want to put in a file from my ipod, since you can't directly download ipod...so, I "exported" the file from itunes, and it is a ".m3u8" file....perhaps that's not really the same as ".mp3"???

thanks!

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-05-2011 04:30 PM

nope, it has to be in mp3 format for it to work correctly

drhippo 11-05-2011 05:22 PM

thanks--again--so, any hints on how to convert to mp3 from the itune format of m3u8....I'm pretty new at this!

thanks!

77Cherokee 11-06-2011 06:05 PM

There are several music file conversion programs on the market. Nero is one of the better ones. Here is a link to a free converter, which I have not tried:

http://www.downloadatoz.com/toplight/m3u8.html

Once you have converted the files to mp3 you should be good to go. :)

Andrew Klossner 11-06-2011 07:14 PM

An M3U8 file is a playlist. It doesn't contain any music, it's just a list of songs.

Itunes music is stored in files with extensions M4A and M4P. The stereo can handle M4A just as well as MP3, there's no need to convert. M4P is "protected" and the stereo can't handle it.

Deception 11-07-2011 02:21 AM

The file that you exported is not actually music, Apple does not allow Music to be dragged from the iPod only added to it. If you want to put Music on your FlashDrive, go into your iTunes and on the left tab, make sure at the top that "Music" is selected and then you from there, drag your Music to the FlashDrive. Let me know if that works for you.

jgc4ever 11-13-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deception (Post 510889)
The file that you exported is not actually music, Apple does not allow Music to be dragged from the iPod only added to it. If you want to put Music on your FlashDrive, go into your iTunes and on the left tab, make sure at the top that "Music" is selected and then you from there, drag your Music to the FlashDrive. Let me know if that works for you.

Deception,

I just tried your advice and it worked flawlessly. Now I have all of my songs from my iPod on a new flash drive with a folder I labled iPod songs and then I was able to play the songs from the flash drive/usb in my 2012 Grand Cherokee 730NRHR AND transfer all of the songs to the Jeep 730N RHR Hard Drive. My iPod Music / Jeep problem is solved. I can sort the Hard Drive music by Album, Artist, Songs, Folders (to sort CDs downloaded from each other and it also shows the new iPod songs folder). I now have everything working on my new Jeep like it should. Thank you so much!

:)

jgc4ever 11-20-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 514851)
Deception,

I just tried your advice and it worked flawlessly. Now I have all of my songs from my iPod on a new flash drive with a folder I labled iPod songs and then I was able to play the songs from the flash drive/usb in my 2012 Grand Cherokee 730NRHR AND transfer all of the songs to the Jeep 730N RHR Hard Drive. My iPod Music / Jeep problem is solved. I can sort the Hard Drive music by Album, Artist, Songs, Folders (to sort CDs downloaded from each other and it also shows the new iPod songs folder). I now have everything working on my new Jeep like it should. Thank you so much!

:)

Jeep doesn't recognize all of the songs I transferred from iTunes to the USB Flash Drive. Only recognizes about 2/3rds of them.

Andrew Klossner 11-22-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 518908)
Jeep doesn't recognize all of the songs I transferred from iTunes to the USB Flash Drive. Only recognizes about 2/3rds of them.

I suspect the files it doesn't recognize have extension m4p instead of m4a. Those are the old locked-down files that will only play on your iPod.

jgc4ever 11-23-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 520056)
I suspect the files it doesn't recognize have extension m4p instead of m4a. Those are the old locked-down files that will only play on your iPod.

OK. Thanks for the info. I ordered an auxillary cord for my ipod nano 2nd gen (even though jeep.com says the 730N RHR is supposed to support it via USB - it doesn't).
I'm getting this http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=4344796
:thumbsup: