Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f163/)
-   -   Debadging techniques (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f163/debadging-techniques-30669.html)

cyanideg 11-06-2011 12:58 AM

Debadging techniques

I like to remove all the badges and here is a great technique I use to do so without damaging the paint.

Tools required:

heat gun
plastic spudger/scraper
micro fiber cloth
3M adhesive remover
Scratch doctor polish

1st start by heating the letters one or two at a time. in a circular motion heat the letters for around 30 seconds, remove gun, cover letter with micro fiber cloth, insert plastic scraper between back of letter and cloth and pry gently. The letters should all come off in one piece along with the black adhesive. Put the letters on wax paper if you plan to sell them or re-apply later. After the badge/letters are off, spray some adhesive remover on where they used to be and gently wipe away the excess adhesive. **Make sure you use a brand new cloth, if it has any dirt, it will scratch your lovely paint! After the adhesive is removed, dab some scratch doctor on the area and let dry, then buff clean. This will remove any residue left by the letter/badge. Easy breezy

Metz1374 11-07-2011 08:32 PM

Re: Debadging techniques

awesome thread, thank u

MikeBoom 01-03-2012 09:23 AM

I've done the same with a number of vehicles, but have used dental floss to cut through the adhesive and remove the badges. It seems to pose a bit less of a risk of scratching the paint than using something to pry off the badges.

robpp 01-03-2012 11:33 AM

i use floss but NOT to cut the adhesive......that could scratch the paint for sure....but to PULL NOT PRY badges off.

roddaz 01-03-2012 12:53 PM

In the UK we can get : Caramel Wheels: from automotive supplier WURTH.
They look like caramel,smell like caramel and go into a Dewalt cordless drill and remove the backing glue without damaging paint.
Worked great on my GC ltd and Mustang conv to debadge!!

Jonboy100 01-03-2012 04:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
They look much better de-badged. I kept the SRT8 on the back and am currently having the side chrome, (which is already colour coded black) where its imprinted Grand Cherokee, filled and new SRT8 badges sunk into in their place.

MikeBoom 01-04-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 544679)
i use floss but NOT to cut the adhesive......that could scratch the paint for sure....but to PULL NOT PRY badges off.

Kinda what I'd describe, but I do "saw" through the adhesive, keeping sufficient tension on the floss that it's not contacting the paint. When pulling or prying off a badge, you need to be careful that you don't end up bending it off and causing an edge to create a small crease in the paint.

As mentioned above, it's really pretty easy if you heat the badges up before starting.

Cobeez 01-11-2012 12:27 AM

I just debadged my 2011 GC today. It was super easy. I used a blow dryer, wax dental floss, Goo Gone, and Meguiars Wax. Looks great, you would never know the badge was there. The heat was the key, and not prying.

Kadonny 01-13-2012 09:49 AM

Has anyone seen or used the cold technique? Basically you cool the badges with a bag of ice, peas, etc or leave your truck out in the cold weather (if you live in that type climate) and then just "pop" them off with a credit card type card.

I saw a Youtube video and it looked real easy. It leaves no adhesive at all to clean off.

Mongoose9400 02-13-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadonny (Post 551817)
Has anyone seen or used the cold technique? Basically you cool the badges with a bag of ice, peas, etc or leave your truck out in the cold weather (if you live in that type climate) and then just "pop" them off with a credit card type card.

I saw a Youtube video and it looked real easy. It leaves no adhesive at all to clean off.

Cold FTMFW. Actually, if it's cold they might just pop without using anything other than a spare credit card type card. I used a hotel key card. Took less than a minute to debadge the WK2. It was in the 30's outside that day.

TurboDiesel 02-13-2012 07:59 PM

i gotta debage mine soon
im going to try the cold meathod

i saw the youtube video of it aswell

rammunitiondb9 02-13-2012 08:01 PM

i just asked Chuck Norris to come and stare the badges down.a couple seconds and they fell like Enron stocks after they claimed bankruptcy. no paint damage at all. quick and painless.