Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Locking Gas Cap (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/locking-gas-cap-30680.html)

JeepGuy026 11-06-2011 09:49 AM

Locking Gas Cap

So i know the grand cherokee has a switch that has the gas cap secured in a way but i perfer to have my gas cap locked with a key. They now currently dont make a locking gas cap by STANT which i perfer vs the one Jeep makes. After doing some research i found that the STANT MODEL 11508 "Locking Gas Cap" for the Jeep Wrangler Works perfectly fine and havent had any issues.

1200RT-P 11-08-2011 12:58 AM

Re: Locking Gas Cap

Good info, thanks for sharing.

just curious - why do you feel the need for another level of security over the locking fuel flap?

Knightrider03m 11-08-2011 03:49 AM

From what I understand, the newer gas tanks are made so you can't just stick a pipe down in there and suck up the gas. Unless you fear that someone will put something inside your tank.

JeepGuy026 11-08-2011 12:09 PM

You guys are probably right but You Never know, plus people could pry that open so I just like knowing there's another level of security If needed :)

AAAA 11-08-2011 01:46 PM

Those keyed screw on gas caps have a long history of breaking or not working over time. Take a pill and just go with it as is.

Sponge Bob 11-15-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGuy026 (Post 509987)
So i know the grand cherokee has a switch that has the gas cap secured in a way but i perfer to have my gas cap locked with a key. They now currently dont make a locking gas cap by STANT which i perfer vs the one Jeep makes. After doing some research i found that the STANT MODEL 11508 "Locking Gas Cap" for the Jeep Wrangler Works perfectly fine and havent had any issues.

When my ’04 GC was totaled I discovered the gas cap was the same part number for the ’11 so the only things salvaged from the ’04 were the wheel locks and locking gas cap.

JeepGuy – I just want to give you a heads up. If you live in an area where the temp drops below freezing you may want to put a small plastic sandwich/snack bag over the locking gas cap. For some reason the water runs down the quarter panel and drips right onto the lock cylinder. When the temperature drops the cylinder freezes and you can’t insert the key or remove the cap. It can be a bit embarrassing stopping at the gas station with the gauge on “E” and not be able to fill the tank.

Archer9 11-15-2011 07:56 PM

Never had a problem with my locking gas cap...yet. But if it did freeze up I'm sure my emotion at that moment would not be embarassment!!! LOL

Sponge Bob 11-16-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archer9 (Post 516003)
Never had a problem with my locking gas cap...yet. But if it did freeze up I'm sure my emotion at that moment would not be embarassment!!! LOL

Archer9 – Believe me, it was not my FIRST emotion. However once I exhausted every combination of expletive I could think of my next thought was how to exit the busy station without looking like a complete idiot. Glad to hear you haven’t had any problems. I have been known to wash the Jeep as soon as the temperature is above freezing – so I may be partially to blame (All the rinse water running down the quarter panel). Just wanted to warn the group. Ya never know…..