Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   hemi swap (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/hemi-swap-30729.html)

inferno red wk 11-06-2011 09:29 PM

hemi swap

i just scored a free 5.7 hemi. i know the trans is the same from the 4.7 up to the 6.1 so hard would a swap be in my jeep never done a engine swap on a mopar before so i have not a clue is it something i can start building up parts for

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-06-2011 11:11 PM

Re: hemi swap

how did you score a free engine? you will need ALOT more than just the engine. you will need alot of electronics to operate it

Chaoul1 11-06-2011 11:22 PM

6.1 has a different Transmission.

You'll need A LOT more like a new Engine Wiring Harness, PCM....etc

inferno red wk 11-07-2011 12:39 AM

i have the pcm and harness i got it out of a totaled car from a family member be bought it to do a 6.1 hemi swap so he gave me the 5.7 i got the front springs control arms and radiator

FlyinRyan 11-07-2011 02:08 AM

These swaps are doable but a giant pain in the ass. You can in theory run a 4.7 pcm on a 5.7. You will need SCT to do it. Youll need a datalogger too.

I suspect that if you havent done a swap before, to not try it on a newer mopar. There are alot of different buses that communicate with each other and the tuning is hit and miss at best. I cant help you a CMR tune because for some stupid reason Diablo only supports dodge 4.7s not jeeps at this time.

inferno red wk 11-07-2011 02:37 AM

well then would it be easier to track down h.o cams and get ported heads

Scottina06 11-07-2011 11:10 AM

yes.....lol

FlyinRyan 11-07-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno red wk (Post 510891)
well then would it be easier to track down h.o cams and get ported heads

Infinitely easier. I dont know what the latest is on sourcing new HO cams from Mopar but worst case scenario you could rip some out of a junkyard for quite cheap probably.

inferno red wk 11-07-2011 01:41 PM

i found a online mopar oem parts dealer that has them in stock quit a few of them actually if thats the case then what kind of performance could i expect from the 07- intake ho cams ported heads and a throttlebody all at once i have a decent budget

FlyinRyan 11-07-2011 02:11 PM

You want the 08+ intake...bear in mind that you will need to delete or run the 08+ EGR system too. I am not sure if anyone has successfully done the manifold swap on a WK. I was the first to successfully swap one onto a WJ.

Porting will depend on who does it...If you get someone that really knows what they are doing, with the above mods you could clear 275whp. These numbers are low because of the AWD system and trans sucking up alot of that power. the truck will be quicker than the above number would suggest.

inferno red wk 11-08-2011 12:51 AM

i was planning on airram ported heads with the ho cam and from what i understand my egr system should bolt right up all i need is the throttle body adaptor but all that is on hold i think my trans is on its way out its not the bushings because i just had one of them replaced

FlyinRyan 11-08-2011 01:11 AM

Check the speed sensors....

Your EGR will NOT WORK....