Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   OEM Mopar Removable Roof Rack (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/oem-mopar-removable-roof-rack-30743.html)

brianm929 11-07-2011 01:03 AM

OEM Mopar Removable Roof Rack

Has anyone purchased the OEM rack? I was wondering what your thoughts were on it. Looking on the Just for Jeeps site one can get confused. The pictures looks like Thule but the write up says Mopar.

Also, I was wondering what the wind noise is like with the OEM Rack.
Thanks.

dlthunder 11-07-2011 01:41 AM

Re: OEM Mopar Removable Roof Rack

I have no noticable noise from the rack, seems lije it is made by thule as the keys are the same. Install was easy and works well for my skis.

PECo 11-14-2011 08:00 AM

I mounted my Mopar crossbars yesterday. It was a lot more difficult to do than I thought it would be. The hardware that mounts to the roof rails can be tough to get onto the rails. And the rubber strip that covers the channel on top of the crossbar is also hard to install. These crossbars are not easily removable. I'm already missing the easily removable Thule crossbars on my old Saab.

However, the Mopar crossbars look fine on the roof. I worried that the towers would look too tall, but they don't. Well, maybe just a little bit. I haven't hit the highway with them on yet, but drove around with my windows and the sunroof open, and there was no noise at all from the rack at speeds up to 45 miles per hour. One of the advantages of having such limited forward travel on the roof rails is that the front crossbar sits just over and behind the split in the middle of the panoramic roof. After I opened the sunroof, I looked up and, for a split second, wondered whether the front crossbar had fallen off. But really, there's no chance of that. They mount onto the roof rails very solidly.

morty 11-15-2011 02:31 PM

Installation was not to bad read the instructions and don't remove the bolts you will see what I mean if you get one. The wind noise is not bad at all. i would not say they are not truly removable. I got the Thule ski rack but have not installed it yet. the only problem is they do not spread far enough apart for my roof top box, it will still work but the overhang looks a little to much.

PECo 11-16-2011 08:50 PM

There's no noise at all from the rack at up to 70 miles per hour.

chaddouglas 11-25-2011 08:51 PM

I've got the mopar OEM cross bars and the Mopar OEM ski racks. I am not super impressed. Noise is minimal and the installation turned out clean and looks better than any of the universal racks, however the actual functionality is limited. The cross bars won't go far enough apart for my snowboard bindings to even fit in between them. I have to put it in with either a binding in front or behind, it works but the boards vibrate a lot more and it looks a little funny. Second complaint is that the towers actually need to be a little higher. Most snowboard bindings rub on the roof and sunroof when the board is upside down. I do like how the towers look sitting so low, and I can reach them from the ground even though I am only 5'8", but I'm worried that over time the bindings will scratch the roof. Haven't tried it with snow skis but I don't imagine they would rub at all.

Huntingman2706217 12-18-2011 08:36 PM

What the heck? i installed mine and they are loud as can be... whistling and roaring... bout ready to take them back off and ditch them on ebay... where are yalls located? i got one all the way forward as possible and the other as far back as possible? ticks me off cause im driving to MN wed and live in GA and i cant handle listening to these things the whole way...

i also have the longest slanted part facing forward and the vertical mounts actually lean more forward but i dont see how they would mount anyway else... anyone got some pics so i can see if i did something wrong? i have pics of mine but cant post them...

J13ntv 12-18-2011 08:39 PM

My thules say to put them behind the front doors for minimal sound, I'd try moving the Mopars back a bit from the front...

dlthunder 12-18-2011 10:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 10925

Attachment 10926

Attachment 10927

Attachment 10928

Without the ski racks mine made almost NO noise and with the ski rack there is some wind noise but not too bad. My wife makes fun of me because I hear everything, so I am guessing if I think it isn't bad then most people would not even hear it. Mine are about 2 fingers back from the front and about 6-7 inches forward from the back. I hope these pictures help, let me know if you need any different ones.

Dan

fireguy 12-19-2011 09:01 AM

Try this thread for noise. I had no problems with the Mopar racks (keep them on all the time). I get noise when I put my old Thule 924 ski racks on (wind turbulence on the roof) but with skis on it no problem (guess it breaks up the wind).

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?p=371545#post371545

Others have noted that the stickers showing Front have been reversed.

There are a bunch of other threads on this too; just do a search.

bmrisko 12-19-2011 09:06 AM

Wrap a bungee cord or piece of small nylon rope around the front crossbar and it will cut out all noise.

Huntingman2706217 12-23-2011 08:37 PM

from the pics above mine are facing the other way around... lol... i tried moving them both back as far as they would but didnt even make it to the interstate... ended up pulling over and taking them off on the side of the road... grabbed the wrong safety hex bit tough so one bolt it wouldnt grab... i was ticked off at that point and just broke it off... i need to bring it in my parents house now that im up here and see if i can repair it... lol... 19 hour drive... it was though bad of noise... ill check the link out above as well... just from reading this thread i thought i was the only one... lol... i also gotta pull the dash and radio out... got a horrible rattle from under it right in the middle... but its on and off and after 80mph so a dealer would have it all day and just give it back saying they couldnt duplicate... i know this cause i used to work for nissan as a tech... lol... thanks again!