Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   730N Nav address programming questions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/730n-nav-address-programming-questions-30766.html)

Wxchaser 11-07-2011 03:34 PM

730N Nav address programming questions

Hey all,

I have a Garmin stand alone GPS that is simple to program, but the 730N seems like multiple steps have to be taken to program something in.

Please let me know your methods of simply programming in addresses and destinations on the nav system - either manually or better yet, through use of the VR button on the wheel - or if possible? - interfacing with the navigation system through Bluetooth and UConnect and iPhone 4S.

Not admitting defeat to the nav system yet, but it sure seems a little convoluted! Thanks.

Steve

sidneyj 11-08-2011 08:41 AM

Re: 730N Nav address programming questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wxchaser (Post 511162)
Hey all,

I have a Garmin stand alone GPS that is simple to program, but the 730N seems like multiple steps have to be taken to program something in.

Please let me know your methods of simply programming in addresses and destinations on the nav system - either manually or better yet, through use of the VR button on the wheel - or if possible? - interfacing with the navigation system through Bluetooth and UConnect and iPhone 4S.

Not admitting defeat to the nav system yet, but it sure seems a little convoluted! Thanks.

Steve

The VR system on mine is so slowsky. I know what you mean about entering addresses. Seems like a step or two could be eliminated. Also, report back if you enter home address and addresses in and they disappear.

77Cherokee 11-08-2011 09:40 AM

I don't feel that manually entering addresses is any slower than any other GPS I've used. With the Voice Command system, it takes a few seconds for the unit to process the spoken commands and match them to the text in the database. That is the most annoying part of Voice Command. It often does not understand names and returns wrong information as a result. The other lag occurs because of the confirmations spoken by the system. You can turn them off in UConnect phone setup but apparently not in the Nav.

There is another current thread regarding memory loss on some vehicles.

Deception 11-08-2011 10:24 AM

What's a great feature in the 730 is if you're using a business (I'm not sure if it's on the 430 or if a home phone would work) you may enter the business phone number and it'll place the address in automatically. I agree a lot on our car has unnecessary steps but it also has a lot of features compared to competitors.

ColdCase 11-08-2011 10:55 AM

I felt initially the same but the Garmin and Harmon have slightly different twists to entering addresses. Once you get used to the 730N it is just about as fast. Then you will have similar issues with Garmin :)...

Voice command works well for me, very little delay.

But, be prepared for your home address to disappear, and perhaps all of them, especially when driving across state lines. Unfortunately you may become quite skillful entering addresses.

Wxchaser 11-09-2011 06:14 AM

So far I haven't had loss of addresses even when switching between states, which I have to do semi frequently.

I am getting a little better at entering addresses, though I still think it is much harder than my little stand alone Garmin. The voice command asks too many questions and seems to take forever, and sometimes kicks me off before I'm even done.

What I want to figure out, is how to use Siri from iPhone 4S to integrate with the nav system to make my life easier :)

Thanks for the advice so far much appreciated.