Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   how long between oil changes and kind of oil (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/how-long-between-oil-changes-and-kind-of-oil-30883.html)

Candy Girl 11-09-2011 05:24 PM

how long between oil changes and kind of oil

Hi, all. I have a couple of questions. I do not think I will be putting on lots of miles on my 2011 GC Overland, so I am wondering. How many months should pass before the oil is changed and what kind of oil would you recommend? Natural or Synthetic? Thanks for your thoughts and help!

jeepinusa 11-09-2011 06:25 PM

Re: how long between oil changes and kind of oil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Girl (Post 512537)
Hi, all. I have a couple of questions. I do not think I will be putting on lots of miles on my 2011 GC Overland, so I am wondering. How many months should pass before the oil is changed and what kind of oil would you recommend? Natural or Synthetic? Thanks for your thoughts and help!

Owner's manual recommends using SAE 5W20 oil for 5.7L hemi and 5W30 for 3.6L engine..change every 6 months or 8000miles.In fact if you go to jeep owners site ,there is an offer from jeep for oil /filter changes.Two oil + filter changes every six months or 8000 miles for a total of six years maximum or total 12 oil changes..for a low price of $156.00

fljeepleo 11-09-2011 06:32 PM

Oil depends on how much you want to spend, Amsoil is tops if you can afford $11 a quart. I am a big proponent of synthetic. I would follow the Evic for oil change schedule.

1200RT-P 11-09-2011 06:40 PM

I put a lot of miles on mine as well (20-25k/year), and I will be doing 8k intervals per the owners manual.

Mine is a lease, so doesn't make sense to put extra service money into the car. With that being said, if i was buying for the long run, I would probably do the same.

Cherodude 11-09-2011 07:39 PM

I had the dealer do my first V6 oil change at three months, which was before the recommended mileage interval, and they used Mopar oil. Since then I've used Mobil One Synthetic 5W-30 for two more changes (the miles are adding up) at about 7,000 mile intervals (before EVIC nagging). Another change almost due.

ColdCase 11-09-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Follow the EVIC notifications, it is programmed to provide a conservative change schedule based on how you actually use the car, based on calendar time, engine time, and mileage.

Synthetic will give you more margin of safety, reduce cold weather starting stress, and a bit more mpg. The more you abuse the Jeep, the more synthetic makes sense. It makes most sense for those of us that use extended change intervals, or plan to keep the car well over 100,000 miles.

Try to use a quality oil filter, and make sure its changed with each oil change.

If you have someone do the oil change, be sure to double check oil level and for leaks.

ryorde 11-12-2011 10:56 PM

FWIW, Everytime I get my oil changed I send it to a lab to be checked. Post break-in I ran 6000 miles and the TBN was 2.4. Second oil change was after 4700 miles and the TBN was 4.3. Both oil changes were with oil from the dealership. At that rate you should be able to push towards 8000 miles between changes. I'm not saying you should, but the oil looks like it can take it. Im waiting on test results from my last oil change when I switched to Mobil 1. I can post the lab results if anyone is interested.

Nickoland 11-13-2011 01:12 PM

I use Mobil 1 synthetic and I'm at 14k miles on this ok change. My rule of thumb is 15k or 12 month. Never had a problem doing this for 15 years across 10+ cars. People waste too much money on oil changes Ever wonder why a BMW scheduled change is 15k or 12 months?

1200RT-P 11-13-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickoland (Post 514557)
Ever wonder why a BMW scheduled change is 15k or 12 months?

lol, because BMW is paying for it?

BobsWK2 11-13-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1200RT-P (Post 514591)
lol, because BMW is paying for it?

+1, I should know, I still have my 2010 M3. But not for long.

Breitling65 11-15-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Synthetic mobile one, every 5K miles on mine. Problem with longer miles is not oil but filter, it could get dirty. Also jeep engine is not BMW, so we should not compare.

Robey5 11-15-2011 03:05 PM

Mobil 1, every 5k, with a M1 filter. I drive a LOT of highway miles (30k/year on average) and plan for 10 years or 200k miles on this truck.