Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Fuel Saver Technology (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/fuel-saver-technology-30889.html)

jb33 11-09-2011 06:47 PM

Fuel Saver Technology

I only have 500 miles on my 2012 Overland 4x4 with the hemi, but anybody else having an issue with the way the fuel saver technology works? Seems like driving around town the engine cycles in/out of this mode a lot. Don't get me wrong I'm all for getting better gas mileage, but so far I'm not in love with the way it works.

1200RT-P 11-09-2011 07:23 PM

Re: Fuel Saver Technology

i've found MDS to be obtrusive - i don't like how its not seamless.

Now, I understand how much technology comes into play here, so its not going to be perfect. With 10k miles on mine in 5 months, I've totally 100% used to the way the truck drives.

PECo 11-09-2011 09:46 PM

After 100 miles, I haven't even noticed the MDS cutting in and out. Is that what the ECO light signifies? My Jeep was delivered with 9 miles on the odometer and a 13.3 MPG average on the EVIC. I was able to raise it to 14 MPG on a 40 mile highway run, but the terrain for my local driving is mostly steep hills and the average has dropped back down to 13.5 MPG. If the MDS is operating, it hasn't helped MY mileage.

MikeD 11-10-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PECo (Post 512675)
After 100 miles, I haven't even noticed the MDS cutting in and out. Is that what the ECO light signifies? My Jeep was delivered with 9 miles on the odometer and a 13.3 MPG average on the EVIC. I was able to raise it to 14 MPG on a 40 mile highway run, but the terrain for my local driving is mostly steep hills and the average has dropped back down to 13.5 MPG. If the MDS is operating, it hasn't helped MY mileage.

I've seen no benefit to MDS except for highway driving which I rarely drive, use to get 13-14 in my SRT8 and that was with getting on it. I get 12.5 driving like a grandma in my Overland, my brother get's better mileage in his Raptor and he is on it all the time. I did put the gear selector in 5 to deactivate MDS and saw 13.5 mpg but I don't remember every time.

Bmwister 11-10-2011 10:39 AM

MDS should have minimal affect in stop-and-go short trip travel. Around town I either switch to Tow/Haul mode or I shift from "D" to "5" either of which disables MDS activation. On the highway I regularly see 22-24mpg (flat/gentle hills) but only with cruise control. In relatively flat suburban Chicago I see 16-18mpg with pussyfoot driving. The worst is Chicago rush hour where it drops to 14mpg and I have never seen less than that even with a liberal right foot.

ekaz 11-10-2011 10:55 AM

I have about 500 on mt '11 Overland and averaging about 13.5mpg. Mix of city/highway driving, a 70/30 split if I had to take a guess. I do notice the MDS kicking in and out every now and then but I've gotten used to it.
My SRT I get about 10, but that has a 426 and get driven differently. :)