Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Flashpaq (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/flashpaq-30894.html)

dssilvestri 11-09-2011 08:05 PM

Flashpaq

Is it worth buying a used flashpaq ? is it still covered on superchips warantee etc ? can i update it ?

BigTicket13 11-09-2011 08:17 PM

Re: Flashpaq

I don't personally own one but here is what I have found out.

1. Most products have a manufacture warranty that they will endorse from the time of sale. Check super chips website.

2. As long as it is not vin locked you should be able to have it re-tuned for your specific vehicle.

3. Is it worth it? Depends who you are buying one from. If you want go check in the Jeep classifieds and there is a vendor selling the tuner and lifetime worth of tunes for your vehicle for $350. So either buy it from here or Scottina is selling one on here still I believe for $300. These are the only two places I would purchase a tuner at this time for the prices, and they are members and supporters of this site.

Hope this helps. I really want to get one here soon but think I need a few more minor mods before getting this. Such as CAI, exhaust, ported TB, TSTAT, HiD (not relevant but still on the want list).

BigTicket13 11-09-2011 08:18 PM

Also I see you have a HEMI look into the predator tuner as well. I have read good things about there product, but I have a 4.7 and its a no go with my motor. lol

jeepgcoman 11-09-2011 08:59 PM

What BigTicket said is true. Unless you can verify, (a) it's not stolen, and (b) it has in fact been unlocked from the previous VIN, it would probably be a good deal, if the price was right......say $100-150 less than market. If you can't verify this info., I'd stay away from it. If you bought it and it was stolen, it will probably be VIN locked and won't work. If you send it to the SC folks (and the theft has been reported to them) you won't get it back. If it is legit. and has not been unlocked from the previous VIN, it'll cost you ~$125 to get it unlocked so you can use it. Also, you can update the tuner if it is needed, and the warranty is probably no longer in force and is probably for the original owner anyway.

I have both tuners for both my Hemi's and there are definite advantages to each. If you plan to do more than a little engine/transmission mods. and/or plan to go racing, the DS is a better choice, due to it's flexibility (able to tune air/fuel and timing), and the ability to have custom tunes created for your particular vehicle. If you're going to do light modding, go off road, or are annoyed (like I am) with the lousy shift schedules and sluggish operation of the 545RFE transmission, the SC with the Advanced Transmission Tuning App. (ATT) would be more suited to your needs. The DS folks have come up with some limited trans. tuning lately, and hopefully they'll continue to upgrade.

Redpit 11-09-2011 09:11 PM

The one he is talking about is from me. It will be set to stock (not vin locked). Works 100%. Its up in the FS section now if anybody is interested. Ive sold on other forums with zero complaints under the same screen name. I also have 100% feedback on ebay under toppo10.

Here's a link to one of my FS threads with postive feedback:
http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132089

robpp 11-09-2011 09:29 PM

hey redpit, FWIW cant blame the guy for asking about the thing if he gonna have a problem.

IMO hes doing his diligence and you busting into the middle of it wont help the sale LIKE you might think.

HEY OP I will say I have the Flashpaq for my 4.7 I like it BUT I have no other choices.

If the goal would be to keep your wk mostly stock a few bolt ons like intake exhaust never go to the track or race then the flashpaq is prolly fine. if you have bigger plans that include some 1/4 mile runs and such and MORE than an itake or exhaust I would get a Diablo. That will allow you to get custom tunes based on your mods and location etc. Lots more options with the diablo. you can find diablo for 275 280 at speedlogix or look for used ones about the same price as the flashpaq.

GL

Redpit 11-09-2011 09:34 PM

I think you're missing my intention. Im not saying he was doing anything wrong. I want people to do their homework, so to speak. I was just trying to give a face or name to the seller he was referring to, and that Im here for any questions about this particular item.

Lucas J 11-10-2011 07:42 AM

redpit- lets please keep this thread specific to buying a used programmer. there are others who may find this information useful when you do not have one to sell. thanks

OP-I don't think there is anything wrong with buying a used flashpaq but like others have mentioned, it needs to be vin unlocked. I would suggest using pay pal, so you have some sort of recourse if you buy a stolen or locked one.

jeepgcoman 11-10-2011 05:51 PM

X2 ^^^