Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

New Chevy Trailblazer- a true Jeep competitor?

4K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  amw5 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Obviously it has some concept-touches to it that won't see production, but I like it.

I really liked the new Chevy Equinox, in fact I would say the WK2 and the Equinox are probably the two best looking SUVs on the market today. The Equinox is also a GREAT seller, and dealers can't even keep them on the lot. What made me get the WK2 over the Equinox were:

-The Equinox had no keyless entry and start, this was a deal breaker for my wife. If it had keyless entry and start, we really might have a Equinox LTZ right now instead of the Jeep because my wife liked the size of the Equinox more than the Jeep, which she thinks is a little too big.
-Fully loaded the Equinox with the V6 (the 4 is stupid slow) AWD is about $37k, they sell real well and best deal I could find was $1500-$2k off, I only paid $32,500 for the Jeep with an MSRP of $38,800, so the Equinox would have cost more for less capability and size.
-In the material quality and road presence department the WK2 is a step above the Equinox for less money. The Equinox has pretty crappy materials inside.
-Even though its smaller and lighter, fuel economy on the V6 Equinox is the same as the V6 WK2. The 4cyl is much better, but like I said on a loaded Equinox with AWD its REALLY slow.

So, assuming the production version of this Trailblazer loses some of the goofy concept stuff (it will), I bet it will do well.

#10 · (Edited)
It is typical cheby, may look good but functionally deficient, and you need to wait 4 or 5 years for the design flaws to be worked out. GM likes to use early adopters as test mules, not that I'm bitter to have been bitten....

IMHO I don't like the looks, epecially that rear window treatment.

#11 ·
That may have been GM's MO of old, but I'm not so sure going forward.

Kind of like applying Chrysler's previous quality problems to their new vehicles...

#16 ·
Chrysler has had quality problems? Must have missed them.

If you mean by old something like, say, three years?. The cheby my daughter drives is now notorious for eating timing belts at 50,000 mile, just 10,000 miles short of the recommended change interval. GM makes some nice proven vehicles, but never take a chance on a new model... that company just doesn't care enough IMHO.

#13 ·
Its different alright and I wont lie, I kinda digg it! Not that I would give up my jeep or even consider buying one, but I think it pretty cool looking. My pop had an old trailblazer and it was worthless, cheapy plastic and no way to customize. Ha, goodtimes!

#26 ·
:thatfunny:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why GM keeps shooting themselves in the foot. They come up with a good looking vehicle that they know will sell well but decide not to bring it to certain markets.

I like the looks; the new Trailblazer "looks" decent on the outside and may very well sell decently solely due to that fact. However, GM will either not want to "compete with other GM models" because they see it might be a hit (forgetting that this is exactly what they already do?) or, they will completely cheapen the interior with GM fantastic-plastic better suited to hobbyist model kits.

Otherwise, another moldy GM tack is to deprive the equipment options or drivetrain with a planned obsolescence model of improvement over several years. You know, their idea is to plan on people trading up rather than giving them their ideal choice of what they want to buy now. Rest assured that the 4x4 system will be nothing dependable for serious duty.

#25 ·
It is a very good looking truck if they keep it close those pictures. Everyone can relate it to another vehicle, it is difficult not to. I can not tell you how many times I get the comment that my jeep looks like a terrain in the back...and it does with the thick chrome bar. I do not see this coming to the states unless it is replacing the transverse or the tahoe. It wouldn't make sense to create another 3 row seater that just looks different.

#28 ·
I'd rather have the Kia;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.