Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Need some help/advice on purchasing a used 2005 Limted WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/need-some-help-advice-on-purchasing-a-used-2005-limted-wk-30945.html)

hound 11-10-2011 09:10 PM

Need some help/advice on purchasing a used 2005 Limted WK

Hello all!

I just returned to the States after being in Iraq for 5.5 years. I need a vehicle and have been shopping all the used car lots. I have found one I am very interested in and would like to know what your thoughts are on the price and what things/problems I should look for both for bargaining and reasons to possibly avoid purchasing this vehicle.

Year: 2005
Model: WK Limited 4X4 with 5.7L Hemi
Mileage: 110,000
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Asking Price: $11,900 - very small dealership

I test drove it tonight and everything seemed to operate as expected. I put in 4 LOW and back out.

The interior is 99% immaculate. All the seats look unused. Even the driver seat has very little wrinkling on the entry side. The only things that are worn and need replacement on the interior are the driver side heated seat button, and the menu buttons for the information center.

The paint is in very good shape with only a few small chips on the front of the hood (to be expected with 110K miles)

I was getting dark when I test drove so I couldn't really look under the Jeep but I could see some weeping coming from the fill hole on the rear diff. Needs to be cleaned and then rechecked to see if that is going to be a problem.

What other things should I look for? Are there known issues with 05 Wk's?
Is the asking price acceptable? I was thinking of going to $11,500 on account that it needs tires.

Escape 11-10-2011 10:00 PM

Re: Need some help/advice on purchasing a used 2005 Limted WK

Do you have a link to the Jeep?

What are your plans if any for the Jeep? Mods?

The only issues I have had on mine is the lines for the Trans cooler leaked right at the crimp seal and the hydraulic fan line leaked also but that was a simple hose clamp fix. Steering wheel peels and drivers side seat will crack, check those.

Mine only stayed stock for a few months though.

Try for 10 flat. Good tires are going to run you around a grand.

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-10-2011 10:29 PM

i wouldnt pay more than $10k for it as well. tires will set you back around $700-800. do they have maintence records for it? without records i would change the differential fluids, the transfer case fluid, and the tranny fluid after you buy it just to be on the safe side. the only problems i had with mine was the muffler blowing out around 45k miles and i had to replace an axle shaft. other than that it was all routine maintence and no problems.

edit: just saw the mention of the drip on the rear dif, that means it was most likely changed recently. they are filled until the fluid leaks out the opening so that is likely not a problem at all

hound 11-10-2011 11:16 PM

I don't have a link to the Jeep. I don't even think it is posted on the web. I would like to do a 4" lift and 33" tires on new wheels but that is a whole new discussion.... :)

I don't think they will take 10K for it. I just checked NADA and it lists for $13,800. I can use the tires as bargaining and see if they will agree on 11K. Of course, asking for less never hurts but I think their initial offer is decent.

EDIT: Found a link :) http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=4754313

Lucas J 11-11-2011 08:31 AM

I did a quick Kelly Blue Book and in good condition it lists this car just under 11K. With needing new tires, you should be down around 10K. It looks like a nice WK however IMO every cent you spend over the 10K mark is going to eat into you mod money. A 4 inch SL is not cheap.

http://www.kbb.com/jeep/grand-cherok...ue&anchor=true

Crestwood1001 11-11-2011 04:10 PM

Yea like everyone said I wouldnt pay more then 10 for it, you need tires and its high millage. That said, it is a nice jeep, looks to be in good condition, rear dif suggests that was just taken care of.... they offer a free carfax, id study that and try and get the service records and see if it has a history of electrical issues. But if you can get it for the right price id go for it. And if your looking at a lift your gonna be in like 2,200 to 3,000 depending (for the height you want). For something big do the superlift, lots of guys love it!

Jahkneefive 11-15-2011 10:58 AM

You'll also want to look at the molding around the door handles as those are prone to cracking/breaking and expensive to fix. SUV prices are actually on an upswing so unless they've had it on the lot for over 45 days getting them to 10 flat will be hard.

DrLocke 11-15-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hound (Post 513379)
I don't have a link to the Jeep. I don't even think it is posted on the web. I would like to do a 4" lift and 33" tires on new wheels but that is a whole new discussion.... :)

I don't think they will take 10K for it. I just checked NADA and it lists for $13,800. I can use the tires as bargaining and see if they will agree on 11K. Of course, asking for less never hurts but I think their initial offer is decent.

EDIT: Found a link :) http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=4754313

Looks good and discription sounds good. GET A CARFAX. When I went on the link you provided the carfax was only available if I paid for it.
If that is the case and they ask you to obtain your own carfax. Leave the dealership.
Good luck.

spinoff23 12-28-2011 07:45 PM

I just bought mine with 40k for $15k. They are out there just need to check EVERYWHERE! Autotrader, Motor Trend, Cars.com, Craigslist. I put my search for 250 miles out. Good luck, you'll find one.