Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Whining Noise with video HELP! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/whining-noise-with-video-help-30946.html)

2005 WK 11-10-2011 09:10 PM

Whining Noise with video HELP!

I have had this problem and i cant pinpoint it. You can hear it in the clip easily. I replaced my tensioner pulley and idler pulley along with the belt and still makes noise. Cant figure out which pulley it is because they all spin fine without noise when i took the belt off. My A/C works fine and I have no problem with my charging system (alternator). It seems like its getting louder by the day. At first it would only do it for about 15 mins but now it does it all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB9HkDqRBiM

Chaoul1 11-10-2011 10:09 PM

Re: Whining Noise with video HELP!

Your A/C Compressor Pulley?

dandankler 11-10-2011 11:30 PM

does it stop when you throttle up......it sounds pretty bad .....or atleast

2005 WK 11-10-2011 11:38 PM

i cant tell if it is the A/C, how do i find out if its bad. it whines alittle bit when the throttle goes up then it goes away at high rpm's.

mrtosh 11-11-2011 01:59 AM

Take the belt off and listen for the noise. I'm guessing its the AC clutch. Does it change pitch when you turn the wheel or turn the AC on?

2005 WK 11-11-2011 11:41 AM

I took the belt off and it stopped making the noise. It doesnt change pitch when the ac is on, but it does make a slight sound when the clutch is engaged but its not a whining noise like in the video

mrtosh 11-11-2011 02:23 PM

It's def. a pulley. Tracking it down is the next task at hand. You could use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and try to pinpoint the location. Noise transference will make it somewhat difficult but you should be able to pinpoint it that way.

2005 WK 11-11-2011 03:39 PM

I'm thinking its the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley. I did the screwdriver trick and the alternator and a/c sound the same, even with the a/c on so I'm guessing those are not the problems. I replaced my water pump about a year ago so unless the bearing already went bad, that shouldn't be the problem but I'm not positive. That leaves me the crank pulley and the power steering pulley. My dad heard it and he says he is positive its the crank pulley, any thoughts?

mrtosh 11-11-2011 09:04 PM

It would have to be rubbing on something to make that noise. Is the dampner wobbly? It sounds like a bearing noise, but its almost impossible to diagnose a noise over the internet.

2005 WK 11-12-2011 02:41 AM

the dampener is fine, its not wobbly and everything seems snug. I'm gonna have a buddy look at it sometime this week and hopefully find the problem. If not i guess I'm driving it till something gives. thanks for all your input mrtosh, ill keep the post updated if i find out what the problem is.

dandankler 11-12-2011 04:20 AM

thats the spirit run her till she breaks....

mrtosh 11-12-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005 WK (Post 513955)
the dampener is fine, its not wobbly and everything seems snug. I'm gonna have a buddy look at it sometime this week and hopefully find the problem. If not i guess I'm driving it till something gives. thanks for all your input mrtosh, ill keep the post updated if i find out what the problem is.

Hope you figure it out. Def. keep us posted!