Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Overland Vs. Overland Sumit (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/overland-vs-overland-sumit-31036.html)

JoePistone 11-13-2011 02:45 AM

Overland Vs. Overland Sumit

Okay, I couldn't really find the thread with detailed enough information.

I'm just curious between the major differences. Overland Vs. Overland sumit.

Do they come with any major differences or is it just purely extra "lux" ?

Could anyone clarify? I was wondering if there is anything that would differentiate the performance or capability between the two. Even if it's just aesthetics, I still don't see big differences, maybe cause it's hard just looking at pics between them. I guess it'd be clearer if I took a glance in real life. Our dealer didn't have any sumits for me to look at so I opted for the overland. I don't know if I would have went with a sumit but to me it seemed the same from what I've seen online.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could shed some light. Thanks guys! (or maybe redirect me to a post that outlines this just incase I missed it in my search).

PECo 11-13-2011 08:25 AM

Re: Overland Vs. Overland Sumit

The Summit adds a bunch of "nanny" options that I don't like and for which I did not want to pay (e.g., Forward Collision Warning, Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Monitoring, and Rear Cross Path Detection). My wife's 2005 Infiniti FX35 had Lane Departure Warning and Adaptive Cuirse Control, and I found them to be unnecessary and intrusive. We ordered her 2012 M37x AWD without them. Unlike the majority of East Coast drivers, I always use my turn signals (aka blinkers, directional indicators, repeaters). Plus, I prefer to modulate my speed on cruise control myself; I can anticipate traffic way better than any electronic system. Inattentive drivers should just stay off of the roads.

BuckeyeSRT 11-13-2011 08:32 AM

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_overland_summit.htm
here you go

Corp Cog 11-13-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PECo (Post 514441)
The Summit adds a bunch of "nanny" options that I don't like and for which I did not want to pay ...

+1

The other thing I didn't want was the saddle dash. I've always experienced glare and reflection on the windshield. The grille and fog bezel look good IMO, but for about $450.00 I can add them on by buying the parts. (I already ordered the bezels)

ColdCase 11-13-2011 09:52 AM

The Summit comes standard with must have options like advanced collision warning. There are tons of threads discussing the virtues of these systems, and those that think they are "nanny" options are dinosaurs about to go extinct. Their arrogance will get some of us killed someday. These are the same guys that say we don't need airbags because they are so alert they will never get into an accident :) They just don't get it. The Summit V8 also comes standard with QD

The WK2 link provides excellent detail, but to summarize:

In order to get QD in an overland, you must order the ORA II, but that package swaps the 20 inch wheels with 18s.QD is standard on Summits. You do have to have the V8 option regardless.

The 730N is currently a mandatory option on the overland, so if you configure the vehicles the same, the Summit costs you maybe $4-500 more, or about the same if you really want QD and saddle seats, and less money if you also want 20 inch tires.

The Summit does have some nicer chrome bits (grill, fog light covers, polished wheels) and some interior detail (mostly a saddle dash and a different wood trim, which I don't like but others love). You decision may be more about if you care for 18 or 20 inch wheels and the QD system.

If you don't care about the saddle interior or QD, you could have thought about a optioned up Limited. The 2012 Overland does not seem to be as much a value as the 2011 was.

BuckeyeSRT 11-13-2011 11:20 AM

I love name calling or dissing what other people have and like. It reminds me of 4th grade with Sister Edna. We used to do a lot of it then too.

Lingohocken 11-13-2011 12:00 PM

Color choices, different interior wood grain and such. Not so much more lux than the regular Overland than different lux and slightly more stuff comes standard.

In the end we preferred a fully tricked out Overland, price be damned, but it comes down to personal taste rather than available features.

Dan JGC 11-13-2011 12:11 PM

The blind spot detection is excellent and the forward collision warning is a nice but rarely activated feature.

I have a black Summit....gorgeous. No glare from the saddle dash (it isn't high gloss or anything like that but a matte leather so that is a non-issue...can't figure out why Summit haters keep bringing that up...and I live in very sunny Florida). Just last night outside the grocery store I was stopped by a guy who was looking at my Summit so I showed him the inside too. Last week I was pulling out of a hidden drive to see down the street and a pedestrian was right there on the side of the tall bushes (two more steps and I would have bumped him)....I apologized and he said no problem then went on about what I beautiful "truck" it was. Get comments all the time...looks great in person with the saddle and black wood trim.

JoePistone 11-13-2011 12:45 PM

You guys are wonderful! Thanks for all the info! I ordered the overland with the QD so maybe that's why I was a bit confused. I knew about the chrome but really I'm not that big on chrome and if my taste changes I can always order them.

Thanks a lot again guys, plus that link was super useful!

Sliter'12Overland 11-13-2011 01:04 PM

I'm almost positive that QDII is standard on all Overland and Overland Summit with the V8 and the 6 speed 65RFE transmission.

HEMInator 11-13-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sliter'12Overland (Post 514553)
I'm almost positive that QDII is standard on all Overland and Overland Summit with the V8 and the 6 speed 65RFE transmission.

That's not correct. This has been covered in a few threads on here but for the 2011s, QDII WAS standard if you ordered the V8. For 2012, QD II is only standard on the Summit. To get it on the regular overland, you have to add the ORAG II package with the V8.

WoodyCanuck 11-13-2011 02:09 PM

This is true in the U.S.A.

For some reason, in Canada the configurations are different.
We have no Summit option.
And if you order the Overland with V8, as I did, it automatically includes:
QD II (ELSD), HD Tow Package, and Block Heater.
There is no charge for the Saddle interior, and in fact, the only options are:
20" Chrome wheels; Rear DVD player; or Off-Road Package - thats it.