Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/overland-summit-get-trail-rated-or-not-31043.html)

Mark Paul 11-13-2011 09:21 AM

Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
I thought I was going to order a trail rated, V8, Mineral Grey Summit early next year. My local dealer received one in just yesterday but it is not trail rated. The 20" polished wheels are gorgeous. I have never been off-roading, but thought I would do some light off-roading in the future. Somehow I feel that the Summit with out being trail rated would be enough for what I might do.

Can I add skid plates later with the 20" wheels?

What else does the off-road package add that the Summit doesn't already have???

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Mark

WoodyCanuck 11-13-2011 10:32 AM

Re: Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
I thought my Overland with the V8, & QD II would also come with the Trail rated emblem, but it didn't and I'm thinking its because:
- it has 20 wheels instead of the more practical 18"
- it didn't have the front tow hooks
- no skid plates

All these I could have had if I ordered the Off-road II package, but I didn't because I wanted the 20" wheels instead.
The tow hooks and skid plates can be ordered and installed afterwards.
There are a few threads here detailing how to do it. (with pics).
(I'm going to order the tow hooks and just the front skid plates myself) ;)

moosehead 11-13-2011 10:48 AM

Re: Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
+1, get the Oland and add gear to your driving preferences. As-is it will handle light trail and moderate snow. You could also go bigger as-is but exposure to damage increases. If you go beyond forest service roads add hooks, skids, and 18" wheelset later. Stow some basics in your rig such as recovery straps, tools, gloves.

Uncle Paul 11-13-2011 11:23 AM

Re: Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
Consider ordering the trail rated version, and getting a spare set of 20" wheels/tires for everyday driving. (you can pick them up pretty reasonable on this site)

When you get the urge to go off road, slap on the stock tires, have a blast, then back to the 20" set for the bling...

BuckeyeSRT 11-13-2011 11:30 AM

Re: Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 514490)
+1, get the Oland and add gear to your driving preferences. As-is it will handle light trail and moderate snow. You could also go bigger as-is but exposure to damage increases. If you go beyond forest service roads add hooks, skids, and 18" wheelset later. Stow some basics in your rig such as recovery straps, tools, gloves.

+2 build it as you get hooked.

HEMInator 11-13-2011 01:05 PM

Re: Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Paul (Post 514456)
I thought I was going to order a trail rated, V8, Mineral Grey Summit early next year. My local dealer received one in just yesterday but it is not trail rated. The 20" polished wheels are gorgeous. I have never been off-roading, but thought I would do some light off-roading in the future. Somehow I feel that the Summit with out being trail rated would be enough for what I might do.

Can I add skid plates later with the 20" wheels?

What else does the off-road package add that the Summit doesn't already have???

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Mark

Mark,

Yes you can add everything later. I bought a regular Overland Mineral Grey w/ Saddle and purchased OEM Chrome Wheels to replace my 20" Standard Overland wheels (I didn't want 18s). I also had the skid plates added, two Trail Rated badges and am just waiting to find out when the Chrome Tow Hooks will be available and I'll buy and install those as well. I had the dealer I purchased from do the badges and skid plates and negotiated them as part of the deal.

HEMInator

Mark Paul 11-13-2011 02:33 PM

Re: Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
Thank you everyone for your generous feedback. I think I'm going for the 20" wheels and then add the skid plates later. Thanks to all!

Mark

Kevlars 11-14-2011 01:28 AM

Re: Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
I don't think you can add everything ... I think there was something with the wiring and the electric components.

anyone?

Knightrider03m 11-14-2011 01:36 AM

Re: Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevlars (Post 514980)
I don't think you can add everything ... I think there was something with the wiring and the electric components.

anyone?

If he is just adding skid plates then he should be fine.

Kevlars 11-14-2011 09:35 AM

Re: Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
Agreed ... but I dont think that was the question... the question was ... is that the only difference, and I remember but have not time to look for the other stuff that is done that can not be added. so in the end if you add the Skid plates and the 18 inch wheels etc. Will it be the same as the Trail Rated from the factory and I believe the answer is no.

Roki303 11-14-2011 09:48 AM

Re: Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
Skidplates and tow hooks you can add yourself. If you have V8 ORAII gives you Quadra Drive II which is something that I would like to have if I would be considering V8. If you will not take it off road than probably it will not matter.

You also be getting 18" wheels which is a plus (don't like 20") to me but might not be the case for you.

ColdCase 11-14-2011 09:56 AM

Re: Overland Summit: Get Trail Rated or NOT?
 
There is quite a discussion about what give a Jeep trail rating... but if you want to know the part difference between a Overland/Summit with or without the ORA II package;

The only ORA II package part that you can't purchase OEM is a small metal guard for wire/perhaps fuel line between the tank plate and the transfer case plate. The stock guard is plastic (which you have to trim to install the tank guards). You can get the metal plate from one of the vendors, however. Most of us don’t bother.

There are no differences in the electronics or programming.

If you have a V8, the rear ESLD is only available as part of the Overland ORA II or Overland Summit packages.

I dunno how the 2012 numbers work, but in 2011 it was much less money adding ORA parts than to get the ORA package and add 20 inch wheels later. There is a demand for 20 inch wheels, not so much for 18s. The tow hooks can be a PITA to install, you may want to have your dealer to install them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community