Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   18" vs 20" wheels (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/18-vs-20-wheels-31051.html)

Roki303 11-13-2011 01:45 PM

18" vs 20" wheels
 
Am I the only one who prefers 18" wheels? Aesthetics aside, which I think are subjective in the eye of beholder, why would I get 20" wheels?

Here are my reason for getting 18" ones:
- cheaper tires
- much better choice of tires (looked at tire rack, can't get LTX M/S or any Michelin tire)
- extra inch of rubber to protect against curbs in the city and while doing mild off roading (mostly overgrown forest roads to get me mountain biking ,climbing or just camping)

With Overland you can get 18" wheels if you get ORAII package but dealer has a car that I want but no ORAII. I am thinking about asking if they can swap wheels from some other GC Limited. Wonder if anybody was successful in doing that - obviously don't want to pay extra.

Am I wrong? Should I just give up and get 20" wheels?

jgc4ever 11-13-2011 02:02 PM

Re: 18" vs 20" wheels
 
Dealers won't switch wheels from one new vehicle to another. You can ask but I would be SHOCKED if they did it.

Mendo 11-13-2011 02:57 PM

Re: 18" vs 20" wheels
 
It's worth asking. Downunder limiteds come with 20" wheels and when I was looking at a Limited I also wanted 18" wheels. They were happy to swap them over with a Laredo on the lot for no extra cost or credit to purchase price.

Imagine it would be easier selling a Laredo optioned with 20" wheels vs 18" so they might be happy to do it.

JGCCAYENNE 11-13-2011 03:16 PM

Re: 18" vs 20" wheels
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roki303 (Post 514566)
Am I the only one who prefers 18" wheels? Aesthetics aside, which I think are subjective in the eye of beholder, why would I get 20" wheels?

Here are my reason for getting 18" ones:
- cheaper tires
- much better choice of tires (looked at tire rack, can't get LTX M/S or any Michelin tire)
- extra inch of rubber to protect against curbs in the city and while doing mild off roading (mostly overgrown forest roads to get me mountain biking ,climbing or just camping)

With Overland you can get 18" wheels if you get ORAII package but dealer has a car that I want but no ORAII. I am thinking about asking if they can swap wheels from some other GC Limited. Wonder if anybody was successful in doing that - obviously don't want to pay extra.

Am I wrong? Should I just give up and get 20" wheels?

I agree with all your points, and that is why I went with 18's. The main benefit of the 20" wheels is looks. Another negative is that the lower profile tires on 20's will result in more impact harshness being transmitted to the body/cabin.

brandont 11-13-2011 06:28 PM

Re: 18" vs 20" wheels
 
I agree with all your points as well and I went with the 18s. I considered getting 20s for summer and running a more serious winter tire on 18s, but instead I'm just getting LTX M/S2 and running them year round. I like the 20s but they're surely heavier and the lesser tire selection was just too much to ignore.

Uncle Paul 11-13-2011 07:07 PM

Re: 18" vs 20" wheels
 
1 Attachment(s)
I wanted the spoke to the rim look of the 20', but not the harsh ride and other issues.

I started to look around for aftermarket rims, but there were quality horror stories, and fittment complaints.

So I had the stock 18' rims insert area painted body color.

Give a more custom look, stays with factory fittment, and minic's the spoked look of the 20".

ColdCase 11-13-2011 08:37 PM

Re: 18" vs 20" wheels
 
On the street, the 18s ride mushy compared to the 20s, the 20s have so much quicker turn in, handle better and are lighter on their feet. So much more responsive, more driving satisfaction, no contest.

Off road the 18s provide margin for rocks.

Personally I like the looks of the 18s better, but that's subjective.

snowmants 12-10-2011 10:58 PM

Re: 18" vs 20" wheels
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roki303 (Post 514566)
Should I just give up and get 20" wheels?

I have the offroad II package wheels on my overland. Get the (non-chrome) 20s and I will trade with you plus cash from my side.

Here is photo of my car from 3 weeks ago (23k miles on car):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39875831/jeep/jeep%20gc.JPG

final 12-11-2011 09:54 PM

Re: 18" vs 20" wheels
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul (Post 514705)
I wanted the spoke to the rim look of the 20', but not the harsh ride and other issues.

I started to look around for aftermarket rims, but there were quality horror stories, and fittment complaints.

So I had the stock 18' rims insert area painted body color.

Give a more custom look, stays with factory fittment, and minic's the spoked look of the 20".


That was a great idea and your rims look fantastic - do you have any close-ups of a rim as I want to have my paint guys do the same? Thank you in advance.

jp467 12-11-2011 10:38 PM

Re: 18" vs 20" wheels
 
I just ordered a set of the 18" Limited/Overland factory wheels. I am going have the Wrangler silent armor 265/60/18 mounted on them. I have the 20" wheels now they do look better and the response I'm sure it better but I think you give a lot in the ride on the rough roads they can be harsh. It also seems like I have a hard time keeping the 20"s balanced.

snowmants 12-12-2011 11:07 PM

Re: 18" vs 20" wheels
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 532185)
I just ordered a set of the 18" Limited/Overland factory wheels. I am going have the Wrangler silent armor 265/60/18 mounted on them. I have the 20" wheels now they do look better and the response I'm sure it better but I think you give a lot in the ride on the rough roads they can be harsh. It also seems like I have a hard time keeping the 20"s balanced.

Want to sell me your 20s?

fundguy 12-14-2011 01:15 AM

Re: 18" vs 20" wheels
 
18" gives you cheaper tires, better off road. 20" gives you better handling and firmer ride. I like the 20" for my use. Think off road vs. street. I upgraded rims on my Armada to 20" from stock 18" and it made a huge difference in handling. Night and day.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community