Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Speaker upgrades (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/speaker-upgrades-31054.html)

67rally 11-13-2011 02:23 PM

Speaker upgrades
 
Planning out the new system for my 2012 WK2 Laredo, and I wanted to see if anyone knows the maximum depth we can use for front and rear door speakers. And will a 6 1/2 oversize fit (6 3/4)?

I haven't really researched the 6x9's, but I don't imagine there are too many options for separates out there. Are most people running 6 1/2's with plate adapters up front?

FlyFlip420 11-24-2011 12:43 AM

Re: Speaker upgrades
 
What did you find out?

Have you looked yourself? I haven't had a chance....

Did you look at the sub? I am loooking at replacing mine with a stealthbox and small amp

1stJeepGC 11-24-2011 10:04 AM

Re: Speaker upgrades
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67rally (Post 514587)
Planning out the new system for my 2012 WK2 Laredo, and I wanted to see if anyone knows the maximum depth we can use for front and rear door speakers. And will a 6 1/2 oversize fit (6 3/4)?

I haven't really researched the 6x9's, but I don't imagine there are too many options for separates out there. Are most people running 6 1/2's with plate adapters up front?

Hi and seasons greetings,

Here is the information you are looking for:
Vehicle Speakers
Location Size Depth
Front 1 6X9 3.75
Front Tweeters 1 1
Center 1 3.5 2.5
Rear 1 6.5 3.5
Rear 2 2.5 3
Subwoofer 1 8 5

I do believe you need a plate to convert from 6x9 to the 6 inch family.
Alot of other folks here have changed the front speakers and upgraded to a better component speaker (ie DLS, Morel, Focal, etc).

Best for now. :)

1stJeepGC 11-24-2011 10:08 AM

Re: Speaker upgrades
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyFlip420 (Post 521001)
What did you find out?

Have you looked yourself? I haven't had a chance....

Did you look at the sub? I am loooking at replacing mine with a stealthbox and small amp

Hi and seasons greetings,

Currently the two options to completely up grade the bass is the stealthbox or custom enclosure from an installer who knows how to tune the box with the component subwoofer. I am still debating between the stealhbox and a custom enclosure using Boston Acoustics' SPG-555 sub

Best for now. :)

moosehead 11-24-2011 10:27 AM

Re: Speaker upgrades
 
67, agree there aren't yet decent 6x9 separates, a good 6 1/2 setup is plenty upgrade, especially for the fronts. +1 to 1stJeeps and Flyflip's comments.

The Alpine speakers and small sub themselves are of good quality for OEM, IMO it is the plastic sub enclosure and weaker bridged power that are the primary weakness of the Overland system. YMMV.

Some prior posts for WK2 audio upgrades.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showpost.p...38&postcount=2

My1stJGC 11-25-2011 12:00 PM

Re: Speaker upgrades
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 521170)
67, agree there aren't yet decent 6x9 separates, a good 6 1/2 setup is plenty upgrade, especially for the fronts. +1 to 1stJeeps and Flyflip's comments.

The Alpine speakers and small sub themselves are of good quality for OEM, IMO it is the plastic sub enclosure and weaker bridged power that are the primary weakness of the Overland system. YMMV.

Some prior posts for WK2 audio upgrades.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showpost.p...38&postcount=2

I beg to differ on decent 6x9 separates. Image dynamics XS-69's they are expensive though.

67rally 11-27-2011 09:44 AM

Re: Speaker upgrades
 
Hey guys, thanks for the info. I have a Kenwood Nav head unit that I will be using, but I will be replacing everything else, so I'm doing a fair amount of research.

I'll probably go with a pair of 6 1/2" separates up front and a matched 6 1/2" coaxials in the rear. And I think the JL Audio Stealthbox is a definite for my setup.

I had the Infinity Kappa separates in my last car, and was fairly happy with them. It sounds like a lot of people are running Focal's over here. Can anyone compare the two sounds? Also, anyone running Boston's? I know pricing really isn't comparable between them. For what it's worth, I tend to listen to harder/heavier rock/metal but still like it to sound clean. I don't need studio quality, but cleaner is better.

Last, but not least, my two Alpine amps (MRV-420 and MRD-M1005) both look to be too big to stuff under the front or rear seats. I have had really good luck with Alpine amps in the past and looked at the Alpine PDX-5, but I think it's still too tall, or possibly switching to the JL Audio HD900/5. My only concern with that is that 75x4 for the mains might not put me where I want to be with either of them. The JL would put 500 to the sub and the Alpine only 300 watts.

The other option might be to go with two Alpine amps, a PDX-M6 (600w) for the subs and a PDX-F4 (100x4) or PDX-F6 (150x4) for the fronts and rears. All of these amps are only 2" tall and should fit under the rear seats.

Decisions, decisions....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community