Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   panoramic sunroof rattles (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/panoramic-sunroof-rattles-31061.html)

GeorgeMD 11-13-2011 04:32 PM

panoramic sunroof rattles

I have the panoramic sunroof on my Overland and it rattles loud over bumps but only when its closed, when sunroof on "went" mode, rattle disappeared. With it closed I can feel the glass is flexing with the bumps and rattle noise.

Dealer has tried to fix it, but without any success. They ordered a new panoramic roof, but I'm not sure that it worth to replace entire panoramic roof to fix this problem.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? This is a major repair and I would like some input before I have it done.
Thanks.

lll2for3lll 11-13-2011 05:21 PM

Re: panoramic sunroof rattles

Ummm...

If it rattles now, it might get worse as time goes by.

Hollywood 11-15-2011 04:58 PM

I've had a rattle in mine since new (7 months). Mines worse with the roof in the fully opened position. Tried all the headliner snaps etc but no luck. I've found that if I open the sunroof only half way, it seems to exert enough pressure in the track at a certain spot, that makes the rattle all but disappear. Is it annoying? Absolutely. Would I allow some tech at a dealer tear my headliner apart and attempt to install an entire new pano-roof? NO WAY! :eek:

lll2for3lll 11-15-2011 09:25 PM

Lol. I probably wouldn't neither.

AShoe 11-15-2011 10:43 PM

My sunroof literally just started this a couple of days ago on the passenger side...every bump sets it off. I was hoping it was just the weather change...started having some colder weather. This is the first fall/winter I've had the Jeep so I thought maybe it was just simply that the seal and/or glass was expanding or contracting. I did notice though that if I held up on the glass toward the back it didn't make the awful sound. This sucks though...I hope it's nothing like you're running into!! Good luck...hope you don't need it!!

sined240 11-15-2011 10:50 PM

have the same noise on the rear passenger side of the pano roof. seems like it is from the headliner.

Hollywood 11-16-2011 06:09 AM

Yep, rear passenger side on mine too. Seems like it's coming from the track in the area above the rear passenger door. If I sit back there while my wife drives, and exert pressure on the track in a certain spot, I can get it to stop. I think that's why it also stops when I open the sunroof only half-way and it seems to exert pressure / expand this same spot. Seems like a lot of folks are experiencing this same thing. Sure wish someone could find out definitively what it is.

bigpanda 11-16-2011 06:20 AM

I have this problem too. It happens only on pretty rough bumps and comes from the rear.

More TSB, Chrysler?

J13ntv 11-17-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpanda (Post 516223)
I have this problem too. It happens only on pretty rough bumps and comes from the rear.

More TSB, Chrysler?

Me too, small bumps won't set it off. Has to be a large bump, or for example when two pieces of pavement meet, if its a big enough difference its a thud type bump, that will rattle whatever is rattling. Can't figure out the issue, I've tried to see if any headliner snaps are the issue but seems like the pano roof, although I should ride back there and see if I can hear it better, its just not always easy to reproduce the sound.

GeorgeMD 11-17-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 517309)
Me too, small bumps won't set it off. Has to be a large bump, or for example when two pieces of pavement meet, if its a big enough difference its a thud type bump, that will rattle whatever is rattling. Can't figure out the issue, I've tried to see if any headliner snaps are the issue but seems like the pano roof, although I should ride back there and see if I can hear it better, its just not always easy to reproduce the sound.

Does it rattle when pano roof is closed? Try to open it to the vent mode and check if rattle is still there. I believe it is the glass interface with the glass frame that is somehow loose.

sined240 11-17-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeMD (Post 517352)
Does it rattle when pano roof is closed? Try to open it to the vent mode and check if rattle is still there. I believe it is the glass interface with the glass frame that is somehow loose.

yup thinking its the glass weatherstrip meeting the roof structure or the glass with the frame itself.

bigpanda 11-17-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeMD (Post 517352)

It rattles only when it's closed. I thought someone in this forum had a cure for this rattle problem.