Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Plain old dumb... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/plain-old-dumb-31064.html)

tyresmoker 11-13-2011 05:46 PM

Plain old dumb...

So I go to my local dealer yesterday to buy the rear cargo mat. They have it, take it outa the box for me and give me an invoice to go and pay the cashier.
As I present the invoice and my credit card, the cashier informs me they do not take American Express. I look at her and say "huh?"...she informs me that it is too expensive to take and "no one takes it anymore". after a short conversation reminding them that they are a large dealer and should get out from underneath their rock and maybe try to put the customer first...they took my card for the transaction.
And yes, I tried to buy my Summit there, unless they could make a $2k gross, they would not sell one to me....
I can't make this up.

1200RT-P 11-13-2011 07:43 PM

Are you new to Amex? I run into places all the time that don't take it. My understanding is that Amex merchant fees are more than visa/mc.

01grand 11-13-2011 08:11 PM

Wow that's almost as stupid as SAMs club not taking visa

frog_a_lot 11-13-2011 08:15 PM

Re: Plain old dumb...

In Australia probably 90% or more of places wont take American Express/AMEX, no one takes it here, or if they do there is an extra few percent surcharge

rich mac 11-13-2011 08:26 PM

A friend of mine bought a new vehicle with his Amex card. At first they refused, then he showed them the Amex decal on their window (along with visa & mc). They said it was for parts and service, he threatened a lawsuit, they took his card for the purchase. He got about 35K mile points on his card. He also paid his kids college tuition, and other major purchased with his Amex.

AAAA 11-13-2011 08:56 PM

I cancelled American Express card probably 15 years ago as it was too expensive for me in a day of no cost cards.

Dan JGC 11-13-2011 09:16 PM

Yep AMEX charges much higher merchant fees. From a while back when I had a business the MC/Visa fees were like 15+0.6% of the transaction while AMEX was like 40+nearly 2%...no joke MUCH higher. Just choose not to be an AMEX merchant since the business was not a type that would have a big AMEX clientele per se. Most people don't realize that merchants pay the credit card companies... Whereas a debit card was like a flat 24 per transaction regardless of the dollar amount (which explains why you can't use a debit card to buy a lottery ticket!).

Sparro 11-13-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich mac (Post 514782)
A friend of mine bought a new vehicle with his Amex card. At first they refused, then he showed them the Amex decal on their window (along with visa & mc). They said it was for parts and service, he threatened a lawsuit, they took his card for the purchase. He got about 35K mile points on his card. He also paid his kids college tuition, and other major purchased with his Amex.

Good Luck trying to sue them for not taking his Amex card. The merchant has the right to not accept it if they don't want to.

rich mac 11-14-2011 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparro (Post 514853)
Good Luck trying to sue them for not taking his Amex card. The merchant has the right to not accept it if they don't want to.

Sorry, I believe they do. Ever heard of truth in advertising?

Anyway they thought they did, at least for PR sake.

JoePistone 11-14-2011 06:23 AM

If they advertised that they accept AMEX then you have a case. But some companies save their own asses by having their procedures stated that they will only take it in cases which "cost more than XYZ" or whatever. I wouldn't know for sure as I don't use AMEX. Though, to my understanding if they have a policy about not taking AMEX if the purchase is under a certain amount, I don't think you have much of a case. Usually a company will have a booklet or pamphlet at the cashier or somewhere that details their financial transactions. Sounds silly but I was actually at a store that had a small booklet that outlined their transaction procedures. Everything from installment plans to methods of payment. It is an ass saver for the business when it comes to lawsuit cause it was readily available and in writing but whether it's ethical or not is another story. Depends how you look at it I guess.

I understand them not wanting to take AMEX but at the end of the day, your customers will bring you more money to cover the AMEX transaction fees if you keep them happy. To me business is all about reputation and the service you can provide.

I'd go back in there and ask if they have anything that outlines their financial procedures and payment methods, because if not - you have a case to complain. Though, at the end of the day - sueing them over something like that is not worth the time, effort or lawyer fees.

EDIT: If they knew anything about customer service, they'd at the least apologize and maybe try and throw in a discount or some sort of benefit to you. You never know, try and reach out to their management and explain what happened. You'll be surprised, if they have at least a half decent rep for customer service they'll apologize and try to make it up to you somehow - even if it's something small.

PECo 11-14-2011 08:46 AM

tyresmoker - Crowley Auto Group in Bristol will take Amex for most purchases. They let me charge only $2,000 of the purchase price, but gave me a decent deal (i.e., a little better than 1% under invoice).

1200RT-P 11-14-2011 11:02 AM

I've never been able to put more than $3-4k down on a credit card when buying a car or bike. I do it strictly for miles/points - most dealers say exactly what was said above - merchant fees are way too high for the entire purchase. Having run a business in the past dealing with these fees, I can't really blame them.