Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Push Button Start Install? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/push-button-start-install-31070.html)

ebh5348 11-13-2011 07:35 PM

Push Button Start Install?

I just picked up my 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo X and while everything is as I was expecting, there is one glaring missing part that I did not know had been removed in the 2012 model.

I have the Keyless Enter-N-Go package on my GC, but I do not have the push button start. I have to use the key to turn it on. All of my research had shown that the push button start was all part of the Keyless Enter-N-Go package, but when I got there and I asked the sales person about it he said that the push button start was part of the Limited and Overland models.

My question is, did Jeep remove the push button start from the Laredo model? If so then is there a way for me to add the push button start?

Any information would be very helpful.

1200RT-P 11-13-2011 07:50 PM

I'm sure they didn't remove it on the 2012s. Most likely the button is just not installed. Someone will chime in and confirm. Thankfully, if in right, it's an easy fix.

Knightrider03m 11-13-2011 08:19 PM

Re: Push Button Start Install?

Don't know if they removed it. Try looking in your owner manual. That was where it was at in my rental car.

rich mac 11-13-2011 08:21 PM

Look in the glove box, in the spare tire area, etc. If you find the button, just push it into place (fits like the key). If you can't find one, complain to your dealer and he should give you one. I bought a spare from eBay for about $9. I wondered where they got it, then decided it was 'borrowed' from a WK2 on the lot.

ebh5348 11-13-2011 09:54 PM

I looked in all of the nooks and crannies of the GC and sadly I can't find it. I'll go and check with another dealer to make sure that I am not looking in the wrong spot and then call the dealer I bought it from and see what they are going to go.

67rally 11-13-2011 10:01 PM

I just got a 2012 Laredo on Friday and it has the push button. One of the jeeps on the lot didn't have it installed, could have been in the glovebox though. I had 4 or 5 empty plastic bags in my glovebox when I took delivery.

jp467 11-13-2011 10:01 PM

I'm almost sure it should have it on the X model. I believe you can push in where the key goes and see if it starts. If it does start this tells you it should have the button.

ebh5348 11-13-2011 10:59 PM

Thanks for all of the information. I am getting a better idea that this was something that was not put in my vehicle, be it by accident or purpose I do not know. But upon doing more investigation in the User Guide I found the following information on what happens when the key fob battery dies and you need to start the vehicle:

-In case the Key Fob battery is dead, use the emergency key to open the
door. If the vehicle is equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go, remove the
ENGINE START/STOP button by inserting the metal part of the
emergency key under the chrome bezel at the 6 o’clock position and
gently pry the button loose.

NOTE: The ENGINE START/STOP button should only be removed or
inserted with the ignition in the LOCK position (OFF position for Keyless
Enter-N-Go).

-With the ENGINE START/STOP
button removed, start the vehicle
by inserting the Key Fob in the
ignition and turning to the Start
position.

The main point I see is that line "If the vehicle is equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go, remove the ENGINE START/STOP button". I DO have the Keyless Enter-N-Go package...just not the button.

So I think that I will be calling the dealership, but the Service Department first, to find out if they have one and then explain the situation.

lfd17 11-14-2011 03:09 PM

mine was in the glove box

Jeeters 11-24-2011 01:23 PM

I just picked up an X a couple days ago. It has the button.

tashakirkham 11-25-2011 04:57 PM

I had the same thing happen to me except for a 2011 model. I went back to the dealership and they gave me one that just pops right in. All models come with push to start.

MikeON 12-07-2011 08:30 AM

My 2012 Limited came without the button. Called the dealer and they got me one.