Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   What Fluids for Diff, TC, and Trans??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/what-fluids-for-diff-tc-and-trans-31075.html)

UrbanAssaultJeep 11-13-2011 08:32 PM

What Fluids for Diff, TC, and Trans???

I have a 01 GC Limited with 4.7 Quadra Drive and want to change the following fluids.

T-CASE: New Process Gear Model # 247 J
What Fluid do I need to use?

Transmission: Model 45RFE
What Fluid do I need to use?
What Filter do I need to use?

Differentials: I plan on using Royal Purple Gear fluid for this, is there any additives or anything specific I should do or add like limited slip fluid?

Frango100 11-13-2011 08:51 PM

Re: What Fluids for Diff, TC, and Trans???

T-case uses Mopar P/N 05016796, which is in fact Mobil 424 fluid. Always good practice to loosen the fill plug first, because when its rotten in place, you will not end up with an empty T-case.
The tranny uses Mopar ATF +4.
There are 2 filters in there, a flat pump inlet filter (take care that the filters are different for 4x4 and 4x2) and a round spin-on cooler return filter. When installing the inlet filter, take care to install the seal on the tranny first and be sure its flat with the surface (using the backend of a hammer or something alike to push it in place) and then install the filter. Not obeying this, can result in the filter coming loose and subsequent tranny damage.
For the spin-on filter its good to have the right size of bandtool to remove it, it can be hard to remove without.
For the diffs you indeed need limited slip additve, because you have the varilok in there. Some fluids already have the limited slip aditive in it. 118 ml or 4 ounces is needed when using fluid without the limited slip additive.

UrbanAssaultJeep 11-13-2011 08:57 PM

Ok cool, what about the differential, do I need to add limited slip fluid with the quadra drive?

01grand 11-13-2011 08:58 PM

I second what Frango100 says!

For the spin on tranny filter I did not have the right size strap filter wrench to remove it, but with a tight grip and some muscle I was able to get it off.

Royal purple is good for the diffs, use their 75w-140 fluid. There is limited slip additive in the oil, but I had to add some to stop the diffs from chattering around tight corners. Pick some up at the dealer while you are getting the transfer case fluid. (make sure it says nv247 fluid on the bottle, my dealer was confused about what I was looking for at first).

Any good brand of ATF+4 will work in the transmission.

Frango100 11-13-2011 09:00 PM

Just added this to my previous message, but indeed limited slip additive is needed for the vari-loks inside the diffs. 118 ml or 4 ounces, when its not already mixed in the fluid.

Frango100 11-13-2011 09:08 PM

In 1999 the NV 247 T-case was factory filled with ATF +4, but then problems with clutch scatter occured. Via a SB the fluid was changed to Mobil 424, which was an existing fluid, used for tractor gearboxes. Ofcourse Chrysler wanted to get some extra money out of it and named the fluid Mopar P/N 05016796.
Strangely enough some stealers are still confused about the right fluid to use. The NV 147 T-case did also change over to the "new" fluid, but the NV 242 is still using ATF +4.

UrbanAssaultJeep 11-14-2011 07:53 AM

Im going to use the royal purple 75w-140 in the diffs, any idea how much of limited slip additive I'll need to use in front and in rear?

Terminator2 11-14-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanAssaultJeep (Post 515033)
Im going to use the royal purple 75w-140 in the diffs, any idea how much of limited slip additive I'll need to use in front and in rear?

IIRC 4 oz in rear and 3 oz in front.