Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Interior lighting question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/interior-lighting-question-31076.html)

kaflyboy 11-13-2011 08:55 PM

Interior lighting question

So here is what I'm trying to do.

At night, I would like for the gps screen to go into nighttime color, automatically.
I want the speedo lights and the temperature lights to stay bright.

I know by turning the interior light switch down to the first notch it will put the gps screen into auto mode, but, it also dims the speedo lights and thermostat lights.

Is there anyway to achieve this without going into the display setting every time to make the desired adjustments manually?

Lingohocken 11-13-2011 10:34 PM

Re: Interior lighting question

Turn the control all the way down, and the interior lights don't go on when the door opens, either. At least on ours.

12167jeep 11-13-2011 10:37 PM

^^^ :confused:

drwaldo69 11-14-2011 08:49 AM

If you roll the interior light/gauge switch to its brighest position just before it turns on all the interior lights then the Nav system won't automatically dim. You have to roll the switch just below the brightest setting, which will allow the Nav system to dim when the lights come on.

Kind of weird but that is how it is. I got used to the gauges not quite as bright as they could be and now I don't notice. Other option is to manually switch to day and night mode on the Nav and leave the switch rolled all the way to its brightest setting. That is too much of a pain for me.

brandont 11-14-2011 11:26 AM

So neither of the 'clicked' positions allow the Nav to dim, correct?

drwaldo69 11-14-2011 02:08 PM

I know for sure the brightest clicked position doesn't let the Nav do its auto thing. I haven't checked the lowest setting.

kaflyboy 11-14-2011 05:30 PM

I'm driving now. It does not appear like you can have the nav auto-dim and keep the driver lights on high.

jeepgrady 11-15-2011 07:35 AM

Actually the first click setting on your dimmer control is not there for nightime driving. It's there for daytime driving with headlights on, such as driving in a parade, so you can see the gauges. Previous owners manuals stated this. For some reason, it doesn't in my '12 manual.

77Cherokee 11-15-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgrady (Post 515576)
For some reason, it doesn't in my '12 manual.

There is an updated 2nd edition printed manual in which several corrections have been made. The downloaded manual is an older version, as is the printed version that came with the first run of 2012 GC's. Call CS and they will send the new one to you.