Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   wheels without TPS? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wheels-without-tps-31080.html)

pcturbo 11-13-2011 10:08 PM

wheels without TPS?

Apologies if this has been covered - I am a new member and I don't see a means of searching for subjects within forums. I just purchased a 2011 4x4 Limited with the standard 265/60/18 wheels/tires, and I will want to add a set of winter wheel/tires in the 265/65/17 size. My question is:

If I order these from Tire Rack without tire pressure monitors installed, will I have to deal with a permanent dash image constantly reminding me of no or low pressure, and/or a continuing beep or other error message? If so, is there a way to turn these off? Or will I be OK?

Thanks guys.

12167jeep 11-13-2011 10:30 PM

Re: wheels without TPS?

Here ya go:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...ht=tpms&page=2

To search, just look at the blue header on the right hand side. It says " search this forum"
:thumbsup:

rangersplash85 11-14-2011 07:22 AM

If you have no sensors installed, you'll get a warning chime every time you start the vehicle and the dash light will stay lit. As the linked post above mentions though, you can find a cheap set of sensors on ebay.

ColdCase 11-14-2011 07:50 AM

The 3.6 limiteds don't come with HD brakes standard, right? If you have HD brakes the 17s won't fit.

janton79 11-14-2011 12:55 PM

I was going to ask the same question. I'm also looking for a winter wheel/tire setup.

dlthunder 11-14-2011 05:00 PM

Tirerack didn't charge that much to add the sensors ($150-170 for all four) to my wheels when they were mounting the tires. Both in my Expedition and Tacoma I didn't have sensors in my winter set and while a little annoying it wasn't horrible. Both of those cars require the dealership to reprogram the sensors every time so I wasn't going to spend the money on sensor and the reprogramming. The Jeep reprograms itself (so they claim, I will see next month when I put the tires on).

pcturbo 11-14-2011 06:41 PM

Thanks - got it about the search forum issue.

RE the display, on the WK2 Grand Cherokee I am more worried that the center dash display (normally selectable between several modes) will be permanently pre-empted by a low pressure icon/graphic. That would be a problem. A temporary, or even permanent, idiot light is not something I would worry about. Can anyone share knowledge or experience with this?

RE brakes - HD is not on the vehicle spec sheet, and visually the rotors look like they have a lot more than 0.5" clearance on each side. So I am assuming that 17" wheels will not be a problem. I intend to use them only 2-3 months/year.

ColdCase 11-14-2011 08:16 PM

There is a dash warning light that would be illuminated constantly. The car will ding every time you start the motor.The warning will also be displayed on the EVIC every time you startup, but pressing the back button cancels the warning and sends the display back to where you were.

Last I checked new OEM sensors were being sold on Ebay for something like $65 a set of four. I purchased tires locally and had them mounted for $50 less total money than tirerack (most tire dealers match the tirerack price). If you want a tire/wheel combo or don't want to mess with tire dealers, the tirerack deal is OK. For reference, a set of four Blizaks, new pressure sensors (56029398AA), new OEM wheels (1RV66GSAAA), and center caps (1LB77SZ0AB) set me back roughly $1600 including wheel shipping, mount/balance/road hazard (via the local tire dealer)... $800 for tires and mounting/balance, $800 for wheels and sensors.... no sales tax in NH. No special sale, just regular prices.

pcturbo 11-14-2011 08:32 PM

Many thanks, Cold Case - this addresses the question very well. I'd prefer the convenience of having the tires mounted/balanced free by Tire Rack, but don't want to pay their price for sensors. I'll look for cheapo sensors before making this decision.

ColdCase 11-14-2011 08:41 PM

Just keep in mind, depending on where you are, shipping tire rack packages can add up to more than local mounting/balancing charges.

kxc223 11-14-2011 08:44 PM

I put 18" winter tires on my 2012 Overland and did not opt for the sensors. The warning light came on once and has not come on again in the last two weeks. If you select tire presure in the EVIC it just shows "-" for all four wheels. I was worried that the chime and light would come on repeatedly but so far they have not.

calmurphs 11-14-2011 08:54 PM

The eBay $65.00 sensors work perfectly, we just had them installed on our new snow tire set up this past weekend. Very Happy!