Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   WJ Brake TSB (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/wj-brake-tsb-31129.html)

dirtrider 11-15-2011 09:37 AM

WJ Brake TSB

i have a 2001 Limited with the Teves calipers. I bought the Jeep a year or so ago and the brakes really didn't bother me to much. Recently it seems they do the shimmy,vibrate thing more consistently. My question is when I purchased the Jeep it had 62,000 miles and the dealer gave me the Chrysler Added Care Warranty at no charge. I have had them jix a few things under the warranty, but what is everyones opinion on relacing the calipers with the Akebono. I read the TSB was only performed under the standard 3/36. Does anyone actually think the dealer will fix them this late in the game even with my extra warranty?

Chaoul1 11-15-2011 09:39 AM

Re: WJ Brake TSB

The Akenbono are the best to put in. The Teves Calipers will keep warping your rotors and will cost most out of your pocket. Just upgrade to the Akebono Calipers and you'll be set.

dirtrider 11-15-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 515636)
The Akenbono are the best to put in. The Teves Calipers will keep warping your rotors and will cost most out of your pocket. Just upgrade to the Akebono Calipers and you'll be set.

Yes, but my question is does the collective here think the dealer will replace the Teves w/ Akebonos under my extended warranty. The vehicle has 80k on it now.

01grand 11-15-2011 01:59 PM

You can always ask the dealer if they will do it, if they won't do it (which seems likely, its just a TSB and not really a warranty thing) I would go ahead and do it anyway. However, the dealer is going to charge you an arm and a leg. You can get the new calipers aftermarket for about 1/3 the price of stealership parts, and get good pads and rotors while you are at it. If you are not inclined to do the work yourself I recommend finding a mechanic that takes outside parts and order the calipers, pads, and rotors from r1concepts, they are a vendor here. I will be doing this soon, and I have heard if you PM them you can get a bit of a member discount.

TJXJWJ 11-15-2011 03:35 PM

I would REALLY try to do this yourself or with the assistance of a buddy that knows brakes. It's an easy job, and you can save hundreds. Replacing rotors and pads is so simple it's a joke what shops charge. Replacing calipers is a breeze if you're already replacing rotors and pads anyway. If you don't know what you're doing, do the safe thing and take it in, but if you know enough or have a friend that is willing to help, buy him or her some beers and make an event out of it.

I honestly don't think you'll get anything out of your warranty...especially since it's a TSB.

Ypahihi 11-16-2011 07:18 PM

There are some great easy to follow you tube clips on how to change your rotors, calipers and brake pads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xts0Cggc0bo
Installing Front Disc Brakes and Calipers on Jeep 4 x 4 by searsbrothers
I did mine for the first time and haven't looked back since.
They make it look easy because it really is.

WJeeper 11-17-2011 12:39 PM

Even if the dealer doesn't cover it do it anyways. i have a 2000 and did the upgrade a few months ago and it makes a difference. Much better pedal feel and stops with more authority, although not abruptly at all. Just feels more confident. I didn't know what i was doing so I had help, but it's not that complicated if you wanted to do it yourself. I'm sure u can find a step by step somewhere. Just be sure to have some brake fluid handy before u take it apart.