Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Leave engine running and take the key (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/leave-engine-running-and-take-the-key-31194.html)

JTP (WI) 11-16-2011 09:43 PM

Leave engine running and take the key
 
Okay, I should probably just RTFM, but I did a quick look and couldn't figure out where to check, so I just decided to come here. Forgive me! :)

So, if I leave the engine running and walk away with my key in my pocket, the wife tells me that the WK2 dings incessantly until I return. My question is - what happens if I walk FAR away, or don't return in a reasonably prompt time? Does it just continue running and dinging? Or does it eventually decide to give up and automatically shut itself off? Some third option I haven't yet come up with?

Thanks in advance.

WoodyCanuck 11-16-2011 10:15 PM

Re: Leave engine running and take the key
 
I don't know what happens INSIDE the vehicle, but I CAN tell you that the other night....
I started my Jeep, got in, then remembered something in my office, and took the key fob (because my office keys were on it) out of the vehicle, walked in my office building up to my office, and retrieved my item, walked back down, locked the office and came outside and the engine was still running, jeep was warm, and I drove away. :D Time out of the vehicle, maybe 6 minutes.

Lingohocken 11-16-2011 11:35 PM

Re: Leave engine running and take the key
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodyCanuck (Post 516659)
I don't know what happens INSIDE the vehicle, but I CAN tell you that the other night....
I started my Jeep, got in, then remembered something in my office, and took the key fob (because my office keys were on it) out of the vehicle, walked in my office building up to my office, and retrieved my item, walked back down, locked the office and came outside and the engine was still running, jeep was warm, and I drove away. :D Time out of the vehicle, maybe 6 minutes.

Did you leave the vehicle locked, or unlocked?

1200RT-P 11-17-2011 01:29 AM

It'll run until turned off by the engine start/stop button. The keys distance from vehicle has no bearing.

Ive left the car with a valet, gone inside a restaurant and the valet was able to drive the car away. Once the vehicle is turned off, it will not restart without the key.

Celly 11-17-2011 09:07 AM

Re: Leave engine running and take the key
 
It'll Just keep on Dinging. And Dinging. And Dinging. And the jeep keeps on running, and running, and running till you press the ignition button.

If my wife is being a PITA I'll sometimes "forget" to leave the fob in the car. Since the ding-in doesn't start for a good 5 seconds after you leave.. The secret is to walk briskly.

ColdCase 11-17-2011 09:13 AM

Re: Leave engine running and take the key
 
I thought perhaps there was like a 15 minute timer, but maybe thats just the remote start timer, i.e. you remote start and it will run for 15 minutes and shut off.

AAAA 11-17-2011 04:42 PM

Re: Leave engine running and take the key
 
If you get far enough away you will not hear your wife. I have tried it and it works. Distance is dependent on the model of wife you have.

1200RT-P 11-17-2011 05:37 PM

Re: Leave engine running and take the key
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 517102)
If you get far enough away you will not hear your wife. I have tried it and it works. Distance is dependent on the model of wife you have.

:lol::thumbsup:

WoodyCanuck 11-17-2011 06:54 PM

Re: Leave engine running and take the key
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 516696)
Did you leave the vehicle locked, or unlocked?

Good question, although I'm going to guess and say it was unlocked. (nobody around my area when I leave).
I'm going try the same thing tonight, and this time try locking the vehicle after I get out.

WoodyCanuck 11-17-2011 06:55 PM

Re: Leave engine running and take the key
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1200RT-P (Post 516743)
...Ive left the car with a valet, gone inside a restaurant and the valet was able to drive the car away. Once the vehicle is turned off, it will not restart without the key.

This brings up a good point on what to do when leaving the vehicle with valets, either at restaurants or hotels.
Do you give them the key? or not? (since they can drive and park it without needing the key)

JTP (WI) 11-17-2011 07:35 PM

Re: Leave engine running and take the key
 
Well, they would need to be able to restart and bring it back, so they need the key.

andylcg 11-17-2011 08:53 PM

Re: Leave engine running and take the key
 
If the person in the Jeep hit the "back" button on your steering wheel, the beeping will stop....so i have been told!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community