Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Super Intake Upgrade (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/super-intake-upgrade-31197.html)

Stickerbombed 11-16-2011 11:05 PM

Super Intake Upgrade

So I'm figuring if I want to make real power, would adding a 6.1L Intake manifold+Bwoody 4"+ported TB make any more power than the intake and tb alone?

FlyinRyan 11-17-2011 12:00 AM

Re: Super Intake Upgrade

The 6.1 manifold is a nice piece but needs a pretty serious setup to make a notable difference. Not to mention the heatsoak issue from it being aluminum.

Is your truck stock currently? If so there are better mods for the cash.

Stickerbombed 11-17-2011 12:12 AM

Currently custom catback, superchipped

FlyinRyan 11-17-2011 12:25 AM

Skip it. You'll need at minimum a custom tune (Diablo CMR) , a fairly hot camshaft/valve springs to handle extra lift and rpm... and a stall to take advantage of it.

Stickerbombed 11-17-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 516723)
Skip it. You'll need at minimum a custom tune (Diablo CMR) , a fairly hot camshaft/valve springs to handle extra lift and rpm... and a stall to take advantage of it.

Camshaft and valvetrain are going to be my project next year so ill wait til then for the intake thanks

Scottina06 11-17-2011 11:56 AM

if your gonna do all that look into someof the other intakes

Chaoul1 11-17-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickerbombed (Post 516681)
So I'm figuring if I want to make real power, would adding a 6.1L Intake manifold+Bwoody 4"+ported TB make any more power than the intake and tb alone?

DO IT! You'll love the set-up. Just make sure you gather everything you need. If I were you, instead of a Bwoody, go with an Arrington CAI.

Stickerbombed 11-17-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 516903)
if your gonna do all that look into someof the other intakes

Actually, I was thinking the 6.1 mostly because it looks so dope...I would probably open it up a little though. Do you have another recommendation? I'm still pretty new to the V8 game.

FlyinRyan 11-17-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 516967)
DO IT! You'll love the set-up. Just make sure you gather everything you need. If I were you, instead of a Bwoody, go with an Arrington CAI.

I couldnt disagree with this more. Why put a high rpm intake that shines above 6000 rpms on a setup that is otherwise DONE making power by that point? He will lose low end power and because the setup is mix and match, not realize the top end power this manifold provides. Worst of both worlds. My 4.7 with the 08 manifold and stock cams, tall gearing and 31" tires was a textbook example of this kind of setup.

I dont know what kind of effect a 6.1 manifold will have on AFRs but I highly doubt the Superchips tunes leave enough fuel to compensate for a mod like that. Im sure the manifold would lean it out some.

If this truck was full bolt-ons including srt8 manifolds or longtubes/custom tune at minimum then I suppose it would be an OK decision...but stock w/ exhaust and superchips? No way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickerbombed (Post 517061)
Actually, I was thinking the 6.1 mostly because it looks so dope...I would probably open it up a little though. Do you have another recommendation? I'm still pretty new to the V8 game.

The Eagle manifold is pretty sweet. Supposedly the 6.1 manifold is king BUT has heatsoak issues.

Stickerbombed 11-17-2011 05:07 PM

Thanks for all the feedback: This is the gathering information stage of the build. Ideally I'd liek to wait for gears to come out, throw on a set of 4.56 gears and start from there because that will offset my 33s.
My end goal is to run a 6.5sec 0-60 lifted on 33s at ~5400lbs...no easy feat

FlyinRyan 11-17-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickerbombed (Post 517117)
Thanks for all the feedback: This is the gathering information stage of the build. Ideally I'd liek to wait for gears to come out, throw on a set of 4.56 gears and start from there because that will offset my 33s.
My end goal is to run a 6.5sec 0-60 lifted on 33s at ~5400lbs...no easy feat

Thats an important detail too. If you are trying to turn heavy AT tires, you want a manifold that preserves low end torque. especially if you're trying to work on your 0-60 time.

jeepgcoman 11-17-2011 09:18 PM

I am totally siding with Ryan and Scott on this one. A stock 5.7 would probably lose noticeable power if you did just the 6.1 intake manifold, a CAI and a ported throttle body. There are much better ways to start your quest that will bring modest gains. No matter which way you go, it'll cost some big $$$. Just ask me, and I haven't even done any of the "heavy duty engine/transmission mods.".......yet. If you, at some point, do the cam and valvetrain, be sure to get something that preserves the low RPM torque. Do most of the other standard "minor" mods. first though if you want to get the full benefit of the cam/kit.