Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Blend door longevity (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/blend-door-longevity-31219.html)

PeterB16 11-17-2011 01:07 PM

Blend door longevity

Just a question about the blend door issue I have been reading a lot about.

When does this problem occur?

I currently own an '04 Overland. Just purchased it this past week. It has 74k miles on it. So far, the dual climate controls seem to be working normally.
I did however run the diagnostic test and received the fault codes 52, 53, and 54.
52 = AI (Recirc) door travel range too large
53 = Left temperature door travel too small
54 = Left temperature door travel too large

The unit seems to be working as it should. I get the prescribed air out of the desired side whenever I adjust it. All functions working. SO FAR! (knock on wood and all the other supsersticious things I need to do)

So, if its working what appears to be normally, why do I have these codes?
How can I tell if the doors have been fixed and just never reset historical codes?

Thank u.

Me Fix 11-17-2011 05:11 PM

Re: Blend door longevity

Go to this link and read all about the issue. http://www.jgcparts.com/JGCParts_Jee...rnational.html

Yes, many have the problem and as yuo will see someone has made a business out of helping people fix the issue.

I think the problem is a combination of cheep plastic parts and the redundant need to calibrate the system. My 2004 Overland has 125,000 miles. I bought it used last year. The noise I hear after turning the igntion off was there when i bought it. I didn't hear it because the cal cycle takes place about 2 minutes after I turn off the key. By then I was gone, especially the time I demoed the Jeep, I didn't hear it and even if I had heard it, I'm not sure I would have known what was going on. What was happening was the recirculation door was not completeing the cal cycle because the door hinge is most likely fractured. That happens when the system drives the doors, including the blend doors to full open and full closed position. Those positions are know when the motors stall out as the stop pins are contacted. When the drive motors stall, it's putting lots of pressure on the stop pins, which eventially break. The the door hinges start taking the pressure. Eventially they fracture and break. Your system will then have codes set and all kinds of funny things can happen. Cool air at the wrong time and so on. It can be a very expensive fix if the dealer does it by taking out the dash. Lots of videos on that. The link above might help you understand your options if and when the time comes. I was told that the dealers can flash a new program that cuts down on the frequency of the running the cal program. That might be something to think about if you trust your local dealer. You can read lots of threads on thsi issue in the various forums here. This is a great site and lots of good Jeep owners to help, not just you, but me and everyone else too.

StoneCold 11-17-2011 05:33 PM

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule as to when the doors break. I know mine had the doors replaced with metal ones at around 45K by the dealer (before I bought it) as I have all the previous paperwork.

I also know of Jeeps with 100k + on the clock and still using the original doors.

Frango100 11-17-2011 06:52 PM

I would disconnect the battery for a minute or so and then do the forced calibration cycle (http://www.jgcparts.com/JGCParts_AZC_Recalibration.html) to see if the problem comes back or not. But if it was me, i wouldn't do any replacement until the time that (part of) the system stops working.

tmoc 12-20-2011 08:30 PM

Has anyone tried this blend door repair and does it work as advertised? All about saving money but cutting up my Jeep makes me nervous.

Amelie 12-20-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneCold (Post 517130)
I also know of Jeeps with 100k + on the clock and still using the original doors.

lol I'm sure you do, I just had mine replaced @ 135K

01grand 12-20-2011 09:20 PM

Mine is at 136k and they just went out

Amelie 12-20-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 537657)
Mine is at 136k and they just went out

What a coincidence

comitche91 12-22-2011 06:25 PM

I have done this repair to my 2000 WJ limited. If anyone would like to see pictures they can email me and I can send them some pictures. cody@ryanmarinesales.com

Amelie 12-22-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comitche91 (Post 538912)
I have done this repair to my 2000 WJ limited. If anyone would like to see pictures they can email me and I can send them some pictures. cody@ryanmarinesales.com

Or you could post some on this thread. Try TinyPic, It's pretty simple so you don't have to do that stupid attachment s*** on here.

tmoc 12-22-2011 08:00 PM

I did the self test and found those dreaded codes so I went and ordered the repair kit from www.heatertreater.net , total cost about $200 and it was delivered in just two days.
So, I just finished the installation. Sure enough, once I got inside I found the passenger side blend door was shattered at the hinge point. After seeing it I can tell you there's absolutely no way to repair these parts without this kit. Unless of course you completely remove the dashboard!
All I can say is outstanding things about the kit. Everything fit like a glove and between the online videos, instructions, and some very basic hand tool knowledge it came together in about 90 minutes. They even include a spare set screw, a potential lifesaver when you see how it all goes together.
Only a Dremel will fit in the heater box so don't consider it a do it yourself job unless you own one or can borrow one. I don't recommend the electric knife option at all. It may make a cleaner cut but remember that your face will be inches away from all the fumes that come from this method and I can only imagine how long the smell of burnt plastic will linger in the vents and cabin area. A regular drill bit comes with the kit to trim the plastic housing but I found that a a router bit worked much better.
You do lose the dual climate function. Temp settings run off the drivers control only so whatever the passenger setting reads is purely decoration. I can live with that. This is my 3rd GC and I've never had a passenger adjust their own settings anyway.
FYI, they do make a kit will will restore individual temp settings to both sides, just the way Chrysler intended. You will however have to pull most of the interior out to do it, just like the dealer does.
I also decided to order the Recirc door kit at the same time. This will save me some money for when that component eventually fails. Given that the dash has to be almost completely pulled apart to replace though, it's going to sit in my toolbox until I absolutely need it!

cheapjeep 12-22-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterB16 (Post 516957)
Just a question about the blend door issue I have been reading a lot about.

When does this problem occur?

I currently own an '04 Overland. Just purchased it this past week. It has 74k miles on it. So far, the dual climate controls seem to be working normally.
I did however run the diagnostic test and received the fault codes 52, 53, and 54.
52 = AI (Recirc) door travel range too large
53 = Left temperature door travel too small
54 = Left temperature door travel too large

The unit seems to be working as it should. I get the prescribed air out of the desired side whenever I adjust it. All functions working. SO FAR! (knock on wood and all the other supsersticious things I need to do)

So, if its working what appears to be normally, why do I have these codes?
How can I tell if the doors have been fixed and just never reset historical codes?

Thank u.

I would say 80% of the people that have dual zone have some or all of these codes. I do and I know of many others offhand. Mine still works fine. Now this is just my theory but these things self diagnose from time to time and if the key is shut off during mid test it could throw these codes. Also if in mid test you change temp or position that takes priority and screws up the test because the doors change position during the test. Supposedly sometime in late '03 the doors were strenghtened because they were having so much trouble with them. We'll see I got my fingers crossed. As far as the codes I wouldn't worry about it too much till it quits.