Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Tranny Fluid Change Concern (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/tranny-fluid-change-concern-31229.html)

swing4terps 11-17-2011 03:29 PM

Tranny Fluid Change Concern

1 Attachment(s)
Took the car to the dealer today to have what I assume is its first tranny service at 86K. I asked for just the basic change, not a flush. The invoice has a lot of inconsistencies with WKJeeps. I am little concerned. Thoughts?
  • No listing for the second filter. (round one)
  • Only 5 quarts of oil? (I've read on here some people needing 8 with a pan drop)
  • Additives (What is this? WKJeeps says no additives)
  • BK Cleaner (What is this?)
I'm going to check the level shortly with the method on WKJeeps and report back. Meanwhile, tell it to me straight.

01grand 11-17-2011 03:42 PM

Re: Tranny Fluid Change Concern

Not sure what to tell you about the filter, I bought mine in a kit with both included, so maybe they are both on the same line item here? Not sure though.

I think mine took 7-8 quarts of atf+4 after dropping the pan, I would be suspicious if they only needed 5. You would notice in shifting if it was that low, maybe you got lucky and they mistyped the amount of fluid they charged you for?

NO additives according to Chrysler, I would ask them what that is.

I would guess the cleaner just might be a shop supply used to clean up the pan when it was removed? Hope I have helped some, I would definitely go back and ask them about the additives and the filter.

swing4terps 11-17-2011 04:12 PM

This would happen...

Just checked and the level is just above the hole above cold after driving 15 miles stopping for 30 min and driving for 5 min. Guess I'm going to have to pick up more fluid. I didn't have any repeated clunks on my 15 mile drive home from the dealer; luck I guess.

Now that someone else has confirmed my concerns, my bigger problem is the fact that the owner of the dealer lives down the street. Did he know I was in for service or cut me a deal for it? No. But he has done some favors for my family before. Now I have to figure out how to ask these questions without seeming like that condescending jerkoff that is telling the service techs how they should have done the service. Kind of hard to explain that I know what I'm talking about when they probably see me as some joe schmoe who's telling them how to do their job. What can I tell/show them that they would trust as correct when pointing out possible errors?

Bah humbug.

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-17-2011 04:17 PM

filters come as a kit as 01grand stated, i dont know about the additive, it was on my invoice when i had mine serviced. i also had a few extra qts of fluid used in mine. looks like they used brake cleaner to clean off the old gasket.

swing4terps 11-17-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 517071)
filters come as a kit as 01grand stated, i dont know about the additive, it was on my invoice when i had mine serviced. i also had a few extra qts of fluid used in mine. looks like they used brake cleaner to clean off the old gasket.

There are two filter part numbers on WKJeeps. One almost matches the part number on my invoice (AC vs AD suffix)

I don't mind having to add more fluid myself. If nothing else is wrong (like only one filter being changed) then I'll be OK with it.

Can someone help confirm these items/parts? Andrew where you at?

Bikemobile 11-17-2011 05:21 PM

Friend, neighbor or not that shop needs to do the correct work to your jeep not just wing it.

ChrisWk 11-17-2011 05:39 PM

Looks like they want to sale you a new transmission,in not doing it right take the stuff you got off the wk site and show them. I would check your level of fluid too.

Good Luck

Bleeding Blue 11-17-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikemobile (Post 517127)
Friend, neighbor or not that shop needs to do the correct work to your jeep not just wing it.

Agree, if everything wasnt done correctly you have every right to complain. I would just take it to the shop and ask them to explain everything to you and if they didnt replace the 2nd filter have them do it again.

Crestwood1001 11-17-2011 06:02 PM

Who cares if he is your neighbor, his service department is obviously flawed.

Jahkneefive 11-17-2011 07:09 PM

give me the last 9 of your vin and i'll verify the filter part # as specified for your exactly build combo. As others stated usually the 2 come together, though they CAN be ordered individually. The additive is a stupid BG type crap. Its usually a 2qt bottle with a "tow kool" additive pre-mixed. So you got 7 qts put in more than likely ( 5 mopar atf and 2 of the BG stuff). The BG stuff isn't garbage persay, im just of the opinion there isn't any noticeable added benefit to it over regular old mopar atf. On that note did you check it in neutral? if you did it in park it will naturally show low as fluid is trapped in the veins. Hope that answers some questions.

Escape 11-17-2011 08:55 PM

Forget the Politically Correct nice neighbor stuff.

It's your Jeep and you paid full price for a complete and professional service right?

Was it done right? Nope. Are you paying to add more fluid yourself? Yup.

I know mine has 2 filters and takes 12+qts to fill from bone dry. With only replacing 5-7 there is still a lot of old fluid in there.

Glad you checked it yourself...always do that.

swing4terps 11-17-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahkneefive (Post 517189)
give me the last 9 of your vin and i'll verify the filter part # as specified for your exactly build combo. As others stated usually the 2 come together, though they CAN be ordered individually. The additive is a stupid BG type crap. Its usually a 2qt bottle with a "tow kool" additive pre-mixed. So you got 7 qts put in more than likely ( 5 mopar atf and 2 of the BG stuff). The BG stuff isn't garbage persay, im just of the opinion there isn't any noticeable added benefit to it over regular old mopar atf. On that note did you check it in neutral? if you did it in park it will naturally show low as fluid is trapped in the veins. Hope that answers some questions.

Can you tell me if the part number shown in the invoice is for one filter or two?

I checked it in park per the instructions on WKJeeps. I will check in neutral tomorrow.