Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Custom Skid Plate (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/custom-skid-plate-31296.html)

wkthursty 11-18-2011 09:33 PM

Custom Skid Plate

Hey guys I am looking for someone that has a 4xguard front skid plate. I am looking to replicate the two mounting plates to make my own. This is the only tricky part that I am figuring out. I have sheet metal and flat stock and a CNC Plasma Table. just wanting to do this job myself. Any takers or advice let me know.

Crestwood1001 11-19-2011 07:59 PM

Pretty sure you can't do that, I'm getting that they have the rights to their designs. The whole problem with not having an aftermarket for the WK is because of the limited market for aftermarket parts. So man up and buy it from 4x guard, support them because they are a great vendor of WK armor.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

No One 11-19-2011 09:41 PM

Re: Custom Skid Plate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 518368)
Pretty sure you can't do that, I'm getting that they have the rights to their designs. The whole problem with not having an aftermarket for the WK is because of the limited market for aftermarket parts. So man up and buy it from 4x guard, support them because they are a great vendor of WK armor.

I agree with supporting 4XGUARD, but I think wkthursty can replicate the skid for his WK as long as he does not attempt to profit by selling to others.

Crestwood1001 11-19-2011 10:12 PM

I still dont agree with that, people get all pissy to find out there is a limited aftermarket for these, or that places like 4x guard are going out of buisness (or almost did). Just support them and pony up the money.

jlewissystem 11-20-2011 01:55 AM

If you wanna mod, then mod: make your own sh1t. Just because we can brew our own beer, it doesnt mean that we should drink bud light all the time (and who would? :)) Unless you work for the vendor, it doesnt make much sense for you to push him that way......JMO.

BTW - i have a front guard Sean. Give me a holler. Maybe we can meet up sometime for you to check it out.

maxst2 11-20-2011 02:59 AM

You cannot make a 100% copy. Using the brackets is only part of the design....etcetc.

Crestwood1001 11-20-2011 03:00 AM

He says he is gonna make the plate to. Dude I understand trying to save money, but make your own design, dont copy a company that has struggled to survive in the current economy and with a limited aftermarket to begin with. Thats all im saying

DrLocke 11-20-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 518368)

Ok, so I have an '04 WJ. Who makes a skid plate for that animal? I don't have tooling to make my own so what to do?

No One 11-20-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLocke (Post 518526)
Ok, so I have an '04 WJ. Who makes a skid plate for that animal? I don't have tooling to make my own so what to do?

Here ya go!
http://csloffroad.com/WJBumpers.aspx

Marlin 11-21-2011 04:37 AM

I made one myself from plat 5mm plate in about 10 minutes.

Pop your head under and have a look, it's easy! There's even captive nuts for your to bolt to ;)

TurboDiesel 11-21-2011 08:49 AM

^ how much for one? LOL

wkthursty 11-21-2011 08:57 AM

I never said anything about replicating it to a T or stealing a design. I am just looking to get a better understanding of mounting the plate. I have a machine shop at my disposal and want a challenge for myself. Believe me if I had 250 to buy it I would in a heart beat. So Crestwood before you get bent outa shape ask some questions. And thanks to Jason (jlewissystem) for help and also to Marlin for advice on helping me out with the understanding.