Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (
-   -   whining noise when accelerating (

yev_martin 11-19-2011 07:55 PM

whining noise when accelerating
good day to everyone

i just got my jeep last month and been wondering what's the whining noise when accelerating at 100kph and its gets louder until i reach 140kph it stops. it sound like i have a TC or SC. and when i let off my foot on gas pedal, i didn't hear any whining noise and when i let my foot on the gas pedal again, i can hear that noise again.

can anybody heard this noise too?

btw, just replaced differential gear oil with lucas 75w-140 and added friction modifier but i still hear that whining noise. i took off the cover and drain the oil, and found some metal shavings on the oil.

any feedback is highly appreciated...

thanks and more power.

dssilvestri 11-19-2011 08:07 PM

Re: whining noise when accelerating
Possibly bearings. Determine if its front or rear, i remember that happened to my old zj.

yev_martin 11-21-2011 02:08 PM

it is possible that my bearing gone bad? i only had 66000kms on my jeep...

any idea?

Bleeding Blue 11-21-2011 07:33 PM

were your diff's making noise before you changed the oil?

sheeko 11-21-2011 07:54 PM

When I had diff oil changed, it was overfilled and it did make some noise. Since I have drained some oil, the noise is gone.

yev_martin 11-22-2011 05:30 PM

were your diff's making noise before you changed the oil?

yeah, it making the same noise before i changed my diff oil.

in addition to that, i feel some vibration (wwrrr... wwrrrr..) in the floor and in the seat as the noise faded when i reached 140kph and when i gas it up until 160kph the noise and vibration totally gone...

any more ideas?

pbruen 02-21-2015 01:36 PM

Had the same thing with my 2005 Grand Cherokee it ended being the cv joint that connects the front drive shaft to the transfer case. The boot was torn and it caused it to wear out because of dirt and lack of grease. Just replaced it yesterday and the noise during acceleration is gone. It was a pretty easy job I used a Dorman replacement part which was only about $80 and it was a perfect match, the only thing was that the new mounting bolts were a little too short so I used the old ones. Took about 4 hrs start to finish.

Timmy's! 03-26-2015 03:02 PM

I'm having the same issue in my 2005, I've checked wheel bearings No Play in them. I only hear the noise on acceleration.. Noise goes away when you let off the gas. I start hearing it almost immediately. I've checked all CV's and everything i can think of. . Anyone have any suggestions ? ?

-Also it only makes the noise when moving. Parked or in Neutral No noise. So gotta be someting with the drive-train.

Btw mine started after a beach trip, went to north end(freeman park, NC) went about 2miles in on the beach, after i got off the sand.. I started having really bad vibrations (wheels packed with sand) cleared that up.. but now this whining/ rumble ? idk how to explain the sound. BUT Its driving me up a wall!!! I have the v6 w/ awd system ..

any help is appreciated!

Boomer914 03-27-2015 08:59 AM

Check power steering fluid

crimshdow 04-24-2015 06:09 PM

I too am hearing that cv joints are good. What did you do in order to fix it?