Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   LED's from SRT8 to Overland/Limited models? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/leds-from-srt8-to-overland-limited-models-31338.html)

armoredsaint 11-20-2011 12:30 AM

Rear Brake LED's from SRT8 to Overland/Limited models?

Sorry if it's a dupe, I assume someone has attempted this?

I'm not talking about just buying LED bulbs and replacing them, but changing the whole rear light assembly?

I can guess it's not cheap buying it from Mopar for the SRT8?

http://www.autoevolution.com/images/...-photos_15.jpg

Scottina06 11-20-2011 12:33 AM

Re: LED's from SRT8 to Overland/Limited models?

2012 Jeep SRT8 front bumper LED's?

armoredsaint 11-20-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 518476)
2012 Jeep SRT8 front bumper LED's?

oops, i omitted that important detail :fryingpan::D

Scottina06 11-20-2011 01:33 AM

they arent LED....it was nixed

armoredsaint 11-20-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 518495)
they arent LED....it was nixed

darn. i thought it was standard on the SRT8, oh well. :o

HEMInator 11-20-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredsaint (Post 518648)
darn. i thought it was standard on the SRT8, oh well. :o

I"m wanting to do what you're talking about but the 2013s are supposed to have LEDs according to a post I saw by Milous awhile back. When they come out, I'll just buy the rear end tails with the LEDs and swap them with my current tails.

jeep2011 11-20-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMInator (Post 518663)
I"m wanting to do what you're talking about but the 2013s are supposed to have LEDs according to a post I saw by Milous awhile back. When they come out, I'll just buy the rear end tails with the LEDs and swap them with my current tails.

I am there with you, but I feel they are going to make changes that will make a swap very difficult.

jgc4ever 11-20-2011 04:42 PM

I think the Jeep tail lights look good. I hate LED tail lights. They come on and off so quick and are way too bright. Hate driving behind someone with LED Tails and I don't understand what's wrong with standard and what people like about LED.

ENFORCER 11-20-2011 05:25 PM

LED's are instant on instant off, making them safer as you have more time to react. (yeah like a poofteenith of a second).
LED's are brighter and last longer. there are not massive advantages, but they are there.

BobsWK2 11-20-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 518830)
LED's are instant on instant off, making them safer as you have more time to react. (yeah like a poofteenith of a second).
LED's are brighter and last longer. there are not massive advantages, but they are there.

LED's also use a lot less current than incandescent bulbs.

But if the Jeep is anything like BMW, if they do come out with LED taillights for the WK2 next year, the lights would probably have to be coded to the vehicle. On my 2010 BMW, going from incandescent lights to LED's required the vehicle to be coded by a dealer or an independent with an autologic scanner. This was needed so upon turning the ignition on, the vehicle with the old incandescent lights would give a malfunction warning that a turn signal, brake light, taillight bulb was out because the computer didn't sense enough resistance in the light circuit and thought the incandescent bulb was burned out. Like I said, LED's use much less current so there is little electrical resistance and the computer sends a warning.

nek121328 11-20-2011 07:06 PM

LED's run cooling allowing snow to accumulate and cover the lenses.

Curly 11-21-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 518852)
LED's also use a lot less current than incandescent bulbs.

But if the Jeep is anything like BMW, if they do come out with LED taillights for the WK2 next year, the lights would probably have to be coded to the vehicle. On my 2010 BMW, going from incandescent lights to LED's required the vehicle to be coded by a dealer or an independent with an autologic scanner. This was needed so upon turning the ignition on, the vehicle with the old incandescent lights would give a malfunction warning that a turn signal, brake light, taillight bulb was out because the computer didn't sense enough resistance in the light circuit and thought the incandescent bulb was burned out. Like I said, LED's use much less current so there is little electrical resistance and the computer sends a warning.

If it's anything like swapping them on my Harley you would just add load equalizers to the circuit to make the system think all is the same. It's all plug-n-play on the bikes. You can also get universal kits to wire up yourself.