Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Duratrac... That good in winter? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/duratrac-that-good-in-winter-31404.html)

jeep686 11-21-2011 11:31 AM

Duratrac... That good in winter?

My wife has contract work in the mountains over the winter months and i need to pick up some new winter tires. I have heard good things about the duratracs but have not heard much about them on the icy roads.

If no the duratracs what would you suggest. Hiway driving back and forth from Canada to Montana and mountain roads to ski resorts. oh and if im buying tires i want them to look good too. maybe asking too much from a tire...

brianm929 11-21-2011 02:00 PM

Re: Duratrac... That good in winter?

Bridgestone Blizzaks is what I'm putting on. :thumbsup:

Red G8R 11-21-2011 02:32 PM

Tire Rack is a good source to get a review of any tire. I do feel most winter tires will do a good job, some may be noisy though.
I have Blizzaks on all my vehicles.

nek121328 11-21-2011 06:50 PM

Put the Blizzaks back on yesterday as the weather folks say 5-10" on Wednesday in NE VT.

jraptor04 11-22-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep686 (Post 519232)
My wife has contract work in the mountains over the winter months and i need to pick up some new winter tires. I have heard good things about the duratracs but have not heard much about them on the icy roads.

If no the duratracs what would you suggest. Hiway driving back and forth from Canada to Montana and mountain roads to ski resorts. oh and if im buying tires i want them to look good too. maybe asking too much from a tire...

These tires look great and are freakin awesome in the snow, I have ran these tires for the last 2 winters and cant believe how well they do in the snow. Its the only tire my wife trust to drive in the winter on her jeep. Her wrangler she used to have was light and scary in the ice and snow, Put these tires on and she wasnt scared to drive it anymore. Now we have them on her cherokee and I have just put a second set on my truck, a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500, I tow our camper with this and the tires do great, Some people complain they are soft on hevy trucks put I dont have any problem with that. They are a little louder on her cherokee for some reason but she loves them so she just turns the radio up, lol

ColdCase 11-22-2011 01:51 PM

I think if you want uncompromised ice traction, you need to go Blizzaks, but they wear faster and are not as good as a AT tire on dry highways. You have to make a judgment call there. There are a lot of tires that work well enough in snow and on the highway, perhaps look at a set with the snowflake symbol.

moosehead 11-22-2011 03:14 PM

Jeep686, what part of the country are you located in? Will snow/ice be on the ground for most or all of the season, or does it dry out and leave you with pavement for part or most of the season/predominate route?

Agreed with the comments above: Blizzacks for full time snow/ice, or an AT with good snow rating if pavement is part of the equation. We have both types of tires in our family for winter. My wife has Blizzaks but she prefers my AT's.

+1 Tirerack survey ratings are your friend.

Edit: my bad, didn't see the CAN to Montana comments. If your wife is a reasonably competent winter driver go Duratechs or other AT with solid snow rating. If she is concerned about snow, go Blizzaks but as noted they will wear fast and make a bit more noise on pavement.

mtndog 11-22-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 519877)
I think if you want uncompromised ice traction, you need to go Blizzaks, but they wear faster and are not as good as a AT tire on dry highways. You have to make a judgment call there. There are a lot of tires that work well enough in snow and on the highway, perhaps look at a set with the snowflake symbol.

The DuraTrac has the mountain/snowflake symbol. Like others have said, Tirerack rates them #1 in their category with an "excellent" rating for ice 8.2 versus 9.1 for the DM-V1.

CBrown 11-22-2011 09:37 PM

I have duratracs and i have had no problem with them in icy South Dakota. I use them all year round and they perform exceptionally.

Bmwister 11-23-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 519877)

If you travel often across highly varied climates in the same week as I do (Chicago to Orlando to Travers City, MI and Door County, WI...often) Silent Armors or Duratracs as a year-round tire would be better based on personal experience.

Blizzaks ARE a compromise except for their one-trick design: on ice and hard pack snow in below freezing conditions, the Blizzaks and a very few other dedicated tires like them are unequivocally the best. When snow gets deep or you venture off the pavement or there are 3ft drifts or temps get into the 40s and roads are dry, Blizzaks are not very good. They may also encourage more aggressive driving (confidence the roads are "OK") and cause aggressive drivers to meet the local ditch sooner than later when the traction limit "gives".

When I had 2WD BMW sedans, I always ran Blizzaks from late December to March and then took them off because as temperatures climbed into the 30s and 40s and the roads dried, the Blizzaks handled sloppy and did not stop as well as all-seasons. This is akin to what happens to all-seasons when temperatures drop and the roads begin icing. Firestone Destination AT, Goodyear Duratracs and Silent Armors are excellent all-year tires for a WK2 without giving up too much to dedicated winter road tires.

ColdCase 11-23-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 520536)

When I had 2WD BMW sedans, I always ran Blizzaks from late December to March and then took them off because as temperatures climbed into the 30s and 40s and the roads dried, the Blizzaks handled sloppy and did not stop as well as all-seasons. ...

Its been awhile since I ran Blizzaks, but my cheeks puckered several times as the 325i that normally stopped on a dime, took a few more feet in panic stop situations (dry road) when running blizzaks.

J13ntv 11-23-2011 09:29 PM

What size are people running the Duratracs on the 20 inch rim. They also are $$$ on tirerack. $299 a piece for 286/60/20 which is the smallest they make for the 20 inch rim which I dont even think would fit.