Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   K&N Filter Element for Hemi..yes or no? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/k-and-n-filter-element-for-hemi-yes-or-no-31405.html)

fotomatt1 11-21-2011 12:19 PM

K&N Filter Element for Hemi..yes or no?

I just ordered my 2012 Laredo X with 5.7L Hemi. I should have it on Friday. I'm just ordering a couple of accessories, and was wondering if the K&N filter element will make much of a difference. I've always put them in all of my cars...VW GTI's, Subaru Foresters, etc, but those were 4 cylinder vehicles and fuel efficient to begin with. Has anybody noticed a fuel mileage or performance gain?

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

topsailstar 11-21-2011 01:01 PM

Re: K&N Filter Element for Hemi..yes or no?

I did not notice anything on mine, fuel savings or power.

Brady_SS 11-21-2011 02:42 PM

Got a small gain (about .5mpg) on mine. I've only got 2500 miles, about 500 since the filter change. My gains could be simply the engine breaking in.

I have not noticed much if any performance increase.

I've put K&N's in all my cars with no problems with filtration and typically clean them every 30,000 miles or so. I can't say that I ever noticed a big change in either performance or mileage, maybe just small .5 mpg improvements.

I like buying 1 filter and cleaning it versus buying multiple over the time I keep the vehicle. Probably save a buck or 2 this way, nothing major though.

AIR_RAM 11-21-2011 06:20 PM

In the past on our Dodge Rams the K&N factory replacement filters have proven to cause a loss of 4-5RWHP on the DYNO when compaired to the paper filter. Unless our WK2 filter box is larger than the one on the Ram (Its not) I cant see it performing any better on the WK2.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

ryorde 11-21-2011 11:25 PM

It didnt do much for me.

armoredsaint 11-21-2011 11:42 PM

wasn't there lots of documented cases of it letting more than just air? like dust particles etc? plus zero benefit in hp or fuel gains like they claimed?

elvisisdead 11-22-2011 04:03 AM

I haven't seen much difference in day to day driving, but I do see a few MPG gain on long road trips. Before the K&N, I was getting 17-19. After is 21-22. Can't directly attribute it to the filter, as there were a few TSBs between trips, as well.

binford6100 11-24-2011 12:31 PM

I have had my K&N since my WK2 was new, so I can't say whether or not it has contributed to better MPG or HP gains. I have had them in my previous two Grand Cherokees and noticed only slight improvements in both areas.

I think there is value in them just the same, since they're washable and reusable but I would not count on any significant gains in fuel economy or overall drivability.

cdspiller99 11-25-2011 12:18 PM

Ive always used a K&N in all my vehicles, idk if there is any major difference but works for me..

WK2 Rover 11-28-2011 10:10 AM

I have put K$N filters in all my vehicles (Corvette, Jeeps, Lexus) for better air flow and filtration. I had the Corvette for 16 years and my previous Grand Cherokee for 17.5 years until replacing it with the WK2. The ZJ would still be running today with 200K miles if not for the WK2. Anyhow, the high flow filters do not have negatively affected my vehicles.

But you will not notice a 4 HP gain on a 360 HP engine.

MikeG 11-17-2012 03:39 PM

To me after using K & N on my WK Hemi and actually loosing some mpg's I went back to regular paper. To get the potential but limited horsepower and or milage gains isn't worth it ,look at Bob the OIL Guys site and simply put the Kand N let more diirt through ,is it enough to make a difference, I don't know but over a 100,000 mile span it might. This is only my opinion but if I want real HP and milage gains you have to go with hard parts ,exhaust,throttle body,tuners etc and then I would still use paper filters with a higher filter rate than the oiled filters

Jim_in_PA 11-17-2012 08:07 PM

I don't know if it will many any kind of real difference, but I pretty much put K&N filter elements in all my vehicles and did so with my Jeep. I do get decent fuel economy so I suspect it's not hurting...and less expensive in the long run than the OEM paper filters.