Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Wrong Grille?

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  SW03ES 
#1 ·
Now I've waited patiently for my new Jeep to arrive and took delivery today. I wired in my radar detector, applied some Aquapel and put the Husky liners in. All was great, or so I thought. I was day dreaming while taking the dog out about putting the chrome fog light bezels on my Mineral Gray Overland thinking that would complement the front end perfectly. As I am walking in the garage visualizing the bezels I notice the vertical slats of a Laredo grille...WTF?!?!? Sure enough, a Laredo grill on my Overland... how do you think that happened? I plan on rolling to the dealer in the AM and asking the same question and asking for the correct grilled to be installed. My ride was sitting at the dealer for 6 days waiting on some paperwork, any bets whether it was a factory error or dealer shenanigans?

#3 ·
That grille comes on the Limited too.

My guess is its more likely dealer shenanigans than factory error. I bet someone with a Laredo or Limited wanted the Overland grille as part of the deal...and they swiped yours and figured you would never notice...

#4 ·
This happened at the factory a dealer would not do that. Several years ago I bought a 2002 grand cherokee limited which came with body colored door handles. When I went to pick it up it had body color on the passenger side but the black laredo handles on the drivers side. Just someone at the factory grabbed from the wrong bin which is the same thing that happened with your grill.

#8 ·
This happened at the factory a dealer would not do that.
You obviously haven't spent much time around dealers.

Dealers will do ANYTHING. I know they will take parts off of cars and put them on other cars because they've done that for me. I had them take the wheels and tires off another Lexus on the lot one time because I wanted Michelin tires. No problem. My Dad bought a Cadillac once and he liked the wheels on the STS while his was an SLS. They took the wheels off the STS and put them on the SLS to sell him the car, then sold the STS to someone who didn't know any better.

On the Lexus forum, we had a member who had a small paint deformity on the hood of his Lexus, but he didn't want a repaint. They took the hood off another car on the lot the same color, and swapped it with his...and sold the car with the hood deformity to someone else who didn't care.

Like I said, dealers will do ANYTHING.

Several years ago I bought a 2002 grand cherokee limited which came with body colored door handles. When I went to pick it up it had body color on the passenger side but the black laredo handles on the drivers side. Just someone at the factory grabbed from the wrong bin which is the same thing that happened with your grill.
See, this outlines the quality difference. I've been on car forums for 15 years, mostly asian car forums because thats what I've owned. I have never, ever heard a story of the factory using the wrong parts on a car...never one time. Yet...in my two months on the Jeep forums...I've heard a lot of stories of that exact thing happening. Thats just incredible to me.

Good for you Corp for making them put it right...

#6 ·
Well, just back from the dealer... what a dealer. I've said it before and I believe it, the dealer is a critical piece in creating customer satisfaction. I pull in and tell them the problem and they look at me like at me like I'm a Michigan fan. I explain to them that there are 3 types of grilles, and the one on my overland belongs on a Laredo or, as SW03ES pointed out, a Limited. I then was regaled with multiple hypothetical explaining why that grille was in fact the correct grill. They were surprised that I knew the correct code for the Overland grille and when they printed the build sheet I pointed it out for them. (Thanks Jeep Garage!) 30 minutes spent convincing them to order the correct grille, but they finally, grudgingly did.

Now I wait for the grille to arrive.
http://www.jeepgarage.org/member.php?u=10516

#7 ·
Same story as when I got the wrong steering wheel on my Summit. Then the repeated visits after, for damaged caused by the install of the right wheel. They do forget that the dealer is on the front line of satisfaction and it is one of the reasons I canceled my SRT8 order.

#9 ·
My 2012 shipped with the 2011 radio. Apparently the late 2011/2012 overlands come with a radio that has a 40/20 g capacity/useable space. Unsure if there is a different model number. Last week, my dealer confirmed the problem and ordered the new stereo. Not a big inconvenience, but when added to the 2 mechanical failures i had within the first 600 miles, a bit annoying. Still very happy with the vehicle....

#11 · (Edited)
They should surely know about the different grills. If now, well.... wow.

They should have known the grill was wrong, and then be wanting to fix it because, since it's a factory 'defect', they'll not only get re-imbursed for the grill, they'll actually make money on the labor of doing the swap.

If they were hesitant to fix it, then they're thinking it's going to be out of their pocket. If it's out of their pocket, I suspect shenanigans.

#14 ·
My 2011 Overland came with a Jeep Door Sill on Driver's side and a Dodge Door Sill on Passenger side right from factory. Picked it up with 26 Km on it as it was driven from the Rail Yard direct to dealer and I picked it up 3 hours later. Took 2 days before my Wife noticed it and I went to the dealer and had the correct one ordered.

#16 ·
This stuff seems to happen a lot. About a month ago on the JK forum a member went to pick up his new Rubicon that was ordered with body color flares...they were body color on the driver side and plain black on the other...not sure how something that obvious could slip through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.