Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Spark Plugs, 2004 Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/spark-plugs-2004-overland-31464.html)

PeterB16 11-22-2011 03:42 PM

Spark Plugs, 2004 Overland
 
Found answer on sparkplugs.com

Seems that when the dealer (Ford) did a tune up on the Jeep before sale, the put in the wrong plugs. Next step is to see if they will replace these plugs with correct ones.

01grand 11-23-2011 10:56 AM

Re: Spark Plugs, 2004 Overland
 
which engine? If its the 4.0 or stock 4.7 they take copper plugs, if its the 4.7HO they need platinum.

PeterB16 11-23-2011 11:08 AM

Re: Spark Plugs, 2004 Overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 520567)
which engine? If its the 4.0 or stock 4.7 they take copper plugs, if its the 4.7HO they need platinum.

I have the 4.7 HO. They have platinum plugs in them, but they are not the correct plug. The plug Jeep recommends is the RC7PYCB4 by Champion. They cross reference to a 3304 plug. Heat Range 7
The ones I have in the Jeep now are Bosch FR8LPX which cross reference to a 4030 plug. Heat Range 8.

The plugs I have in there now are too hot.

WJJeeps.com has it written
"CAUTION: Never substitute the original platinum tipped HO spark plug with a different part number. Serious engine damage may result.. HO plugs cannot be cleaned, damage to the platinum rivet will result. Also, do not use a wire-type gapping tool for the same reason. Use a tapered-type gauge. To prevent possible pre-ignition and/or mechanical engine damage, the correct type/heat range/number spark plug must be used"

01grand 11-23-2011 03:13 PM

Re: Spark Plugs, 2004 Overland
 
Yes, I think it would be a good idea to install plugs with the correct heat range, or go back to the dealer and insist that they do it. These engines seem to like the stock plugs best.

02GrandHO 11-28-2011 10:36 AM

Re: Spark Plugs, 2004 Overland
 
I don't know if you bought your plugs yet, but champion has a $2 per plug rebate on them through the end of Nov. Makes them dirt cheap, especially compared to what the dealer ask for them.

Me Fix 11-28-2011 10:56 AM

Re: Spark Plugs, 2004 Overland
 
If the Ford dealer did the tune up, they used the wrong plugs. They are not that easy to change, especially the pass. side back one. If the dealer will admit to doing the tune up and using the wrong plugs, they may buy you a new "correct" set. I think I'd install them myself. That way you would know it was done right, that the threads were not crossed or damaged by the dealer machanic. You might even find they didn't change out the back one because it's so hard to get too.

If you are into doing some things yourself, I'd do this one on my own!

PeterB16 11-28-2011 08:23 PM

Re: Spark Plugs, 2004 Overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 02GrandHO (Post 523183)
I don't know if you bought your plugs yet, but champion has a $2 per plug rebate on them through the end of Nov. Makes them dirt cheap, especially compared to what the dealer ask for them.

I have already bought them, but I will look up the rebate.

PeterB16 11-28-2011 08:24 PM

Re: Spark Plugs, 2004 Overland
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Me Fix (Post 523199)
If the Ford dealer did the tune up, they used the wrong plugs. They are not that easy to change, especially the pass. side back one. If the dealer will admit to doing the tune up and using the wrong plugs, they may buy you a new "correct" set. I think I'd install them myself. That way you would know it was done right, that the threads were not crossed or damaged by the dealer machanic. You might even find they didn't change out the back one because it's so hard to get too.

If you are into doing some things yourself, I'd do this one on my own!

I didnt even bother asking the dealer to fix it. I know for a fact they changed them. The plugs were brand new when I pulled them out. It was just as easy for me to do it myself then to sit around and wait for them to do it for me.
It runs much better now too, btw.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community