Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   WK2 strange placement for parts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wk2-strange-placement-for-parts-31498.html)

Gold Rat Tooth 11-23-2011 01:20 AM

WK2 strange placement for parts

Ok. So what's up with the strange locations for parts in the new jeep?
The battery is under the seat and the air filter is behind the glove box.Why?
I don't get it? So when I need to change the battery,my passenger seat needs to come out. I have to take apart my glovebox to change the air filter? Sounds like needless fun.

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=21141

JeepCoop 11-23-2011 01:32 AM

Isn't the one in behind the globe box the "cabin" air filter? The battery under the seat is just weird lol. But I get it

frog_a_lot 11-23-2011 01:34 AM

Re: WK2 strange placement for parts

Aren't there charge points for the battery under the bonnet?
Meaning you only need to remove passenger seat if you actually need to replace the battery which should only be every 5 or so years.

As for filters and stuff. Most cars have always had fuel filters under the rear seats and places like that, so not that strange or weird.

Edit: and yeah i would also assume the glovebox one is the cabin airfilter not car airfilter

Scottina06 11-23-2011 02:55 AM

the battery in its location protects it from the elements and gives the vehicle a better center of gravity. Some newer vehicles are doing things like this.

ColdCase 11-23-2011 05:52 AM

Its not all that strange, most vehicles with cabin filters have them under the dash near the glove box. In their mini vans, Toyota used to put engines under the driver's seats :) . Under the passenger seat is just wasted space, might as well use it. My 1968 vintage VW had the battery under the rear seat.

67rally 11-23-2011 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 520410)
the battery in its location protects it from the elements and gives the vehicle a better center of gravity. Some newer vehicles are doing things like this.

Yep, I was just going to say this. I halso ave an old muscle car, and the trend is to move the battery to the trunk to get closer to a 50/50 weight ratio. I'm guessing that there will be a lot less corosion on the battery terminals with it hidden under the seat as well.

99formulam6 11-23-2011 06:57 AM

What is going to happen with the guys with new SRT8s that want to go to the track..? When I would run, if the battery was not under the hood, you had to have an external cutoff swtich in case there was an accident and the track crew had to kill the power (cant expect them to know where everyone's battery is). I know the new WK2s come with the battery relocated from the factory, but had anyone run into the issue yet?

67rally 11-23-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99formulam6 (Post 520464)
What is going to happen with the guys with new SRT8s that want to go to the track..? When I would run, if the battery was not under the hood, you had to have an external cutoff swtich in case there was an accident and the track crew had to kill the power (cant expect them to know where everyone's battery is). I know the new WK2s come with the battery relocated from the factory, but had anyone run into the issue yet?

Probably the same thing as with batteries located in the trunk. You will have to have a battery shutoff switch mounted somewhere accessible on the outside. You would most likely have to have the lever fabricated, because I doubt there is anything stock that would work.

ajs800 11-23-2011 09:05 AM

The battery location is very common with today's vehicles. Our 2011 Traverse LTZ battery is just behind the passenger's seat, however, it's very easy to access and can be removed in 5min.

jeep2011 11-23-2011 10:01 AM

Hey just think it is not as bad as the Toyota's in the 80's. When you had to lift up the drivers seat to check the oil, LOL

SixZeroFour 11-23-2011 10:52 AM

As Scott mentioned the main reason for the battery is better weight distribution. All you need to do is move the seat all the way up and forward to gain access - no seat removal required unless it's completely dead and will not even start with a jump.

It's also very common for the cabin filter to be behind the glove box. It's a very easy change, we're talking less than 5 min to swap it out.

67rally 11-23-2011 01:35 PM

I have read that if you have power seats, you can just move them all the way forward and up, then you can remove the battery. If you have a manual passenger seat, the seat will have to be removed. I haven't tried it, so I can't confirm either way.