Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Snow driving advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/snow-driving-advice-31575.html)

GCUK 11-24-2011 04:34 PM

Snow driving advice

Hi guy's,
So winter is upon us and maybe we may get some snow. Its my first 4x4 (Quadra drive) so when I see a blanket of snow for the first time should i just leave it in 4 hi and let the diffs/transfer case sort out where traction is needed, or select 4 low and put the power to all wheels :confused:

cheapjeep 11-24-2011 09:44 PM

Re: Snow driving advice

Just leave it in 4 HI and get the feel of it for a while. Being your first 4x4 you'll be amazed at what it can do. Always keep 4Lo in your pocket for when things get ugly.

StoneCold 11-24-2011 09:50 PM

^x2! I was the only car in my village to make it up the hill onto the A9 lol. Even the snow plough crashed and ended up on its side in a ditch! I even stopped half way up the hill to offer someone a tow.

It is one seriously capable vehicle in the snow.

JeepMe 11-25-2011 12:01 AM

You should never have to use 4LO for any street driving.

Just because you have 4x4 now, that does NOT mean it will stop any better than a 2wd vehicle.

Don't go around thinking you're "invincible" because you're in a 4x4 vehicle. I can not tell you how many accidents I've seen b/c someone thought having 4wd made them accident proof and they didn't use any care.

GCUK 11-25-2011 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 521520)
You should never have to use 4LO for any street driving.

Just because you have 4x4 now, that does NOT mean it will stop any better than a 2wd vehicle.

Don't go around thinking you're "invincible" because you're in a 4x4 vehicle. I can not tell you how many accidents I've seen b/c someone thought having 4wd made them accident proof and they didn't use any care.

Dont worry about that, Ive got a sensible head on my sholders :) I'll be driving very gently if i need to venture out in the snow. A friend at work who drives a 4x4 said sometimes your only as capable as the guy driving in front of you. If they get stuck and block the road, your stuck too !

PeterB16 11-26-2011 01:17 PM

Quadruple your distance while driving behind someone. Make sure you have tires that are capable of handling snow. The more traction you have, the better braking and control you will have (duh) :)
You wont need 4low. If you are traveling slowly down the road, you can use your gear shifter to stay in 1st gear or 2nd to keep from having your transmission looking for a gear and potentially losing what traction you have.

Knightrider03m 11-26-2011 01:30 PM

What ever you do, do not use 4lo just for driving around in the snow.

lll2for3lll 11-26-2011 01:30 PM

4 low...you might spin out and lose control.

I don't know what the WJ's have as far as gear shifting but I downshift when slowing down in snow with the WK and then brake at low speeds.

See my location. I'm no snow expert driver so correct me if I'm wrong. Downshifting just seem to work for me.

DrLocke 11-26-2011 02:39 PM

All the above is great advise. I would suggest that you attempt to drive in the snow (4hi) just for experience sake if nothing else. The more you use your
Jeep the more comfortable you be with it.
Also remember to increase your distance between the car in front of you.
And (very important) try to get a big can of smile remover. You'll need it as you gain confidence. lol

PeterB16 11-26-2011 02:59 PM

haha, smile remover. I never use the stuff.

DrLocke 11-26-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterB16 (Post 522148)
haha, smile remover. I never use the stuff.

You should try a can if you notice people looking at you funny or scratching their head as you pass them.
Just don't buy from the dealer they charge way too much.

GCUK 11-26-2011 04:46 PM

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup: