Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

horrible noises in rear

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  nwb300 
#1 ·
my '02 WJ 4.0L is about to hit 140k miles and has never really had much replaced in the suspension. I started hearing a noise that sounded like a blown shock. it was like a grinding/creaking/squeaking all in one whenever I would hit bigger bumps. I looked and sure enough, the driver side rear shock was leaking badly so I replaced both rear shocks (just with cheap Gabriel shocks for now, I'm putting Skyjackers in when I get my tax return). after I did this I pulled it out of the shop and the noise immediately got worse and more noticable.

I'm quite sure it's the ball joint in the upper control arm, and I have a new one to install on monday. I know the bushings need replacing as well, so I'm piecing things together now. I bought complete new lower control arms with bushings in them, and I bought the bushings for the upper control arm (because the whole arm is ****ing EXPENSIVE, wow). so before I rip apart the back of my WJ to install all of this, is there anything else that I may need to replace? I feel like I've got all of the bushings covered but if there's anything else that could be making noise I want it to die.

thanks for any and all advice.

#3 ·
I have the same problem with my rear a-arm. They are not that expensive (140 for the a-arm and ball joint) but i don't know what you consider expensive. I have a lifted jeep so the angle is more severe so i'm putting on a IROR ($300:eek:) a-arm on wednesday. As cheapjeep suggested I would replace the sway bar bushings while your back there. Also, if your doing it yourself be careful when pressing in the ball joint....they can be a pain in the @ss.

#8 ·
the price I got was like $400 for the the whole arm with bushings and the ball joint. I thought that seemed way steep but I never looked into it much. I work at a Ford dealership and have access to lifts, axle jacks, a press and everything to make getting the arm out as simple as possible so I'm hoping it won't be too horrible.

I would recommend getting the whole a arm. I just did the bushings and without a proper press they were a
Pain to remove and install. Be patient with the job there isn't much clearance under the jeep but its not too bad a job. The ball joint was fairly easy but after removing it the diff sags a bit so you need to use a jack to get it back in position for reasembly. Good luck let us know how it turns out!
as I said I'm hoping they won't be too horrible since I've got all of the proper equipment.... I've got my fingers crossed

Phew...I was afraid of what I might find with this thread. I thought it was something you ate. lol
lol, I save my bowel movement descriptions for the pricks on the Subaru forums. :D

My Overland was making similar noises to that. I was scratching my head because everything appeared fine in the suspension, but when it started making the noise all the time I started investigating the driveline. Turned out I had a bad u-joint on the rear driveshaft. Why it only made noise on bumps at first is beyond me, but after I changed it out it's all quite again. May not be the same as yours, but worth a look. U-joints are relatively cheap and since you've got 140k they probably need replaced anyway. Just my 2 cents tho.
I had thought about that, I think I'm probably going to grab some new ones and do those while I'm at it.

With a press, changing the bushing on the rear upper control arm is easy. If you buy a new ball joint and two bushings, it's like $50 vs $140 for a whole new arm. While I had my old a-arm out I sandblasted it and painted it w/ some of that rubberized undercoating.

If you don't have your own press and you have an extra vehicle, I would imagine there's a shop around that would only charge ~$20 to press out the old and in the new. Take it to them and get it done. It would be cheaper than a whole new arm.
painting it isn't a bad idea either.. I may have to work that into the schedule. I really want to only take all of this shit apart once lol.

#4 ·
I would recommend getting the whole a arm. I just did the bushings and without a proper press they were a
Pain to remove and install. Be patient with the job there isn't much clearance under the jeep but its not too bad a job. The ball joint was fairly easy but after removing it the diff sags a bit so you need to use a jack to get it back in position for reasembly. Good luck let us know how it turns out!

#6 ·
My Overland was making similar noises to that. I was scratching my head because everything appeared fine in the suspension, but when it started making the noise all the time I started investigating the driveline. Turned out I had a bad u-joint on the rear driveshaft. Why it only made noise on bumps at first is beyond me, but after I changed it out it's all quite again. May not be the same as yours, but worth a look. U-joints are relatively cheap and since you've got 140k they probably need replaced anyway. Just my 2 cents tho.

#7 ·
With a press, changing the bushing on the rear upper control arm is easy. If you buy a new ball joint and two bushings, it's like $50 vs $140 for a whole new arm. While I had my old a-arm out I sandblasted it and painted it w/ some of that rubberized undercoating.

If you don't have your own press and you have an extra vehicle, I would imagine there's a shop around that would only charge ~$20 to press out the old and in the new. Take it to them and get it done. It would be cheaper than a whole new arm.

#9 ·
If you do decide to go with a whole new A-arm you can go to teamgrandcherokee.com and get them both for $140. There are other sites out there that are around the same price too. Ultimately its up to what you want and feel like spending. Good luck either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.