Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Good Winter & Off-Road Tires + WK2 Stock Option Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/good-winter-and-off-road-tires-wk2-stock-option-question-31662.html)

mtndwaddict 11-27-2011 12:47 AM

Good Winter & Off-Road Tires + WK2 Stock Option Question

Hi,

I am new to the forums and to Jeep as well. I am planning on purchasing a 2012 WK2 Overland/Summit in the next 3-6 months. I am debating on which model since I want the 20in. wheels but also wanted to make sure I get Quadra-Drive II and skid plates and tow hooks (along with anything else required to do low to moderate off-roading).

My first question is... is the aforementioned possible for stock options? I don't mind the stock 20in. tires. I heard to have this combo stock you'd have to get the Summit since it comes with Quadra-Drive II with the Hemi. But I don't know a lot about this because I am new to it and would love to upgrade to a Jeep.

My second question is... I realize I will need some other wheels/tires dedicated for winter. I would like it if I had some fantastic winter tires that could perform very well in the aforesaid low to moderate off-roading conditions I would like to achieve :) I was thinking the Firestone Destination A/T would be a good fit for this. Do you agree or disagree? What would you recommend and why?

Your help and courteous replies are greatly appreciated!

brandont 11-27-2011 08:51 AM

Re: Good Winter & Off-Road Tires + WK2 Stock Option Question

Hello, and welcome. The 20" wheels are available as an add-on option for almost any model I believe. They were like a $600 option on my Limited that I passed on. I LOVE the look = the problem with the 20s is tire selection. Most of the selection is in the 'street-sport all season' which I have doubts about in the snow. You could get Blizzaks for snow but you would still be scrambling for a decent off road tire. If you are willing to get an 18" wheel for snow and off road, the Destination A/T should be a pretty good balance for both - or the LTX A/T. If your needs are lighter duty off road and more snow I would look at the LTX M/S2.

mtndwaddict 11-27-2011 02:36 PM

I have heard from a friend that you can't have a good winter + off-road tire. I like the stock 20's and they should do fine for summer and spring and even on some wet pavement. But for winter time, I live in Ohio and we do not get a lot of snow per se, but we certainly do get ice. I also want to do some "mild" off-roading. I'm not going rock-climbing or going to the desert. I just want to go over a tree trunk if I need to or do the occassional off-roading quite lightly in the sense. However, I don't want 3 sets of tires. I would like to have the 20's and then have a nice winter/off-road tire. Is this actually possible? I know you can get a dedicated off-road and dedicated winter and get much better performance, but as I said I am looking for a balance between winter and off-road. I want it to be safe in the winter, and capable... for off-road ventures.

brandont 11-27-2011 03:38 PM

The short answer is no, you can't. Especially if your concern is ice vs snow. A dedicated snow and ice tire like a Blizzak will not be excellent at anything else. They would also be very soft over the summer. If you are looking to run an all season in the winter, I would look at the LTX M/S2 which is decent year round. I had the first gen and it handled snow very well and ice about as well as could be expected from an all season. I expect the 2nd gen to be even better and several people around here have them and say they are quite good in winter. You might want to look at that one since it gives you good winter traction and is probably capable of the light offloading you might actually want to do. The A/T tires are better at off road but at the sacrifice of some snow and particularly ice capability. If you were more concerned with snow and offroad then I would go more the A/T route.

mtndwaddict 11-27-2011 05:28 PM

What about the BFG All Terrain KO. Is that just an off-road tire then? Thanks for your help!

I am wondering how well the stock 20in. all-season tires do on new WK2s... anyone know? If that will suffice as much as another all-season then I would rather just grab a nice set of off-road.

Ernest 12-04-2011 10:59 PM

Check out the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires. They are an an all-season/all-terrain tire with the mountain/snowflake symbol of a designated winter tire. They seem to be well regarded by most reviewers. I'm installing the 265/65/18 size on my Overland this week, which should eliminate any need to change tires seasonally. They are available in various 20" sizes also.