Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Adding a Tow Package (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/adding-a-tow-package-31676.html)

Big Green 11-27-2011 12:44 PM

Adding a Tow Package

Hello all,

I did a quick search and couldn't find a direct answer, so I thought I would bring it here...

I just ordered a 2012 V6 4x4 Limited with 730N, Adventure Group I, and Luxury Group II. I did not order the tow package, thinking I'd have no use. After some discussion with family/friends, it's something that honestly I should be getting for really ANY use down the road, be it a U-Haul or a motorcycle trailer.

That being said, I got a smoking deal on the car, at 35,700 before taxes with incentives. Being that this is so far below invoice, I truly don't want to go back to the dealer, change the order, and risk losing this deal. The vehicle has already been ordered, but not produced - production is scheduled.

How difficult would it be to add the tow package myself after the fact? Or have another dealer add the tow package? The full-size spare already comes with the Adv Group I, for whatever difference that makes in ordering.

Also, does the bumper need to be cut in the 2012 as it did in the 2005-2010 models? Thank you, all, for your help!

2011OVERLANDBLK 11-27-2011 12:51 PM

Re: Adding a Tow Package

the dealer should have no problem updating your order to include the tow package - doing that will not change your deal....

My unsolicited advice - get rid of the V6 and get the V8 - - you get a whopping 1 or maybe 2 more mpg with the V6 and its way under powered for these vehicles....

Big Green 11-27-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011OVERLANDBLK (Post 522644)
the dealer should have no problem updating your order to include the tow package - doing that will not change your deal....

My unsolicited advice - get rid of the V6 and get the V8 - - you get a whopping 1 or maybe 2 more mpg with the V6 and its way under powered for these vehicles....

I appreciate the advice, but I'm in field sales... do about 1k miles a week. That 2 mpg adds up!

If the dealer updates the order, my fear is that the numbers will change more than the amount or the tow package add-on (USAA pricing guarantees invoice prices on accessories) since he is cutting it WELL below invoice. I'm looking to make sure I give them zero reason to back out of the deal on paper...

2011OVERLANDBLK 11-27-2011 01:11 PM

In that case it sounds like you have already made up your mind - - that leaves you with 2 options:

1. discuss your concerns directly with the dealer
2. leave the order alone and just add a tow package on the secondary market - - -

I'm one that likes everything of any significance to be done at the factory during build - so Id seriously discuss with the dealer how to add it to your order without it affecting pricing - if the local dealer guarantees it, then they will make it right - one way or another....

Big Green 11-27-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011OVERLANDBLK (Post 522658)
In that case it sounds like you have already made up your mind - - that leaves you with 2 options:

1. discuss your concerns directly with the dealer
2. leave the order alone and just add a tow package on the secondary market - - -

I'm one that likes everything of any significance to be done at the factory during build - so Id seriously discuss with the dealer how to add it to your order without it affecting pricing - if the local dealer guarantees it, then they will make it right - one way or another....

That's what I'm tossing around - like you, I lean more towards having the factory doing it. Just don't want it to end up costing me $1,000 or more if the deal goes south.

Does anyone happen to know how much easier the MOPAR aftermarket trailer hitch package is to install on 2012 than 2005-2010? I know they had to cut the bumper in the previous models - something that would make me take the risk of the deal and have the factory do it.

Metz1374 12-01-2011 06:41 PM

let me jack this thread real quick, I already have my vehicle. Do you think it would be a major issue to get the tow kit put on now, or would they have to modify the back to much?

brandont 12-01-2011 07:37 PM

Keep in mind that the tow package also adds load leveling rear suspension plus the actual tow hardware and wiring.

Metz1374 12-02-2011 12:24 PM

ehhh probably not worth it for the price then, I occassionally (maybe twice a year) have to tow my cousins boat but he can have someone else do it

Mmartin 12-02-2011 10:31 PM

On the v6 you get the hitch receiver, wiring, full size spare and rear load leveling suspension, trailer sway control and on the hemi only a tow/haul mode. If you want it installed at the dealer you get the hitch receiver and wiring unless you want to spend the money on the full size spare. As for adding the load leveling suspension i would guess it is quite involved.

rockrash 12-10-2011 08:04 AM

I would opt for factory install.

Big Green 12-10-2011 11:56 AM

Tried to get it changed last week while in "production scheduled' status. Dealership said they cannot change it. Still in that status. I'll have to get the dealership to do it.

snowmants 12-10-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Green (Post 522653)
I appreciate the advice, but I'm in field sales... do about 1k miles a week. That 2 mpg adds up!...

I just did a 7 hour trip down to South Carolina, then drove around the city of greenville for 2 days and checked my average MPG before starting the drive back and it was 21.9 mpg. This is with my 5.7 HEMI V8. It has great torque which is helpful when you need to merge quickly or obviously if you plan to Tow. Supposedly the V6 can tow 5,000 lbs vs. 7,500 with the 5.7l v8.