Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Anyone else have this battery issue? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/anyone-else-have-this-battery-issue-31686.html)

Footer89 11-27-2011 04:12 PM

Anyone else have this battery issue?

Hey Guys and Gals....

SO I know I just subscribed to this fourm a few days ago but after I did my battery died at work. So I tried to jump it but it was completly dead. I discovered that the battery was 9 years old. I had to get it towed to my house. After that I went and got a new battery. Took the old one out, cleaned everything, checked connections and installed the new one. (Just a Napa Legend battery). After driving for a while I noticed that my battery voltage would fluctuate a little over 14v and a little under (and it constantly moves back and forth and before I switched batteries my voltage stayed right at 14, dead center). I took it to my auto shop and they said it was normal for it to move all the time. My only problem is when I trun the heat on or seat warmers the voltage moves down to the mark thats 12.5v. It only stays there for a second then moves back to flucuating over and under 14v. Does anyone else have this problem? Im not very savy with electronics in cars plus all other cars I drive I have never noticed this problem.

I got my starter and alternater checked plus all connecters and everything is working normal. No problems...so if anyone can help that would be great!

Thanks agian for any help!

01grand 11-27-2011 10:03 PM

Re: Anyone else have this battery issue?

Theres no reason the voltage should fluctuate so much, but just in case I will keep an eye on mine tomorrow and see what happens, but Im pretty sure it shouldn't change much from 14v unless you are flipping accessories on and off. If the battery is good I would take a closer look at the alternator, sometimes they test ok but aren't. When the alternator went out on my old ZJ the voltage fluctuated like that.

Footer89 11-28-2011 02:18 PM

Ok thanks. I dont have any aftermarket parts to draw that much power. When I had it tested it tested to 14.47v. So im not sure what the problem is.

Frango100 11-28-2011 03:19 PM

If you have a digital voltmeter, you can check if its really jumping up and down.
The voltage regulator is an integral part of the PCM. The PCM uses several inputs to regulate the voltage, and one of them is the battery temperature. The sensor is mounted under the battery on the tray. Have a look for shaved wire or other damage to the sensor.

Footer89 11-28-2011 10:11 PM

Thanks Frank...I looked and everything seems to look ok. I did not see any damage anywhere. :s

Frango100 11-29-2011 02:34 AM

As Aaron said, it can be a problem with the alternator. When the brushes are worn, it could cause problems like this. Would only be strange that it only pops up now and not with the previous battery.

Footer89 11-29-2011 04:22 PM

Ok maybe all go get a new Alternator and install it to see if that fixes the probelm. Thanks agian guys!