Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   high engine temp (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/high-engine-temp-31695.html)

jeepnuts 11-27-2011 06:57 PM

high engine temp

Hi guys its been a long time since i last posted jepps had been running real good.

BUT i cleaned engine and bay with degreaser and coated with motomaster engine finnish. At the same time i cleaned the air filter and cleaned and reset plugs to 0.35 as per manual.

after i did this the engine temp is running way higher than normal but not loosing liquid.

I have also removed all engine finnish from all hoses.

So my question is is it possible for the plug gap to cause highe engine temp as i am sure when i installed the plugs initially the gap was larger at 0.4

any and all advice welcome good or bad:D

01grand 11-27-2011 10:17 PM

Re: high engine temp

Good to hear from you again, glad the jeep has been running well! Could you have gotten water in the connector for the temp sensor? I don't think resetting the plug gap to the norm would make much of a difference, unless the plugs aren't the right kind for the engine.

Frango100 11-27-2011 10:58 PM

The engine temperature is controlled by the thermostat, together with the radiator and cooling fan. So even if there was a higher temperature in the combustion chamber, the cooling system should take care of that.
Is the temperature higher when driving as well, or only when standing still?

jeepnuts 11-28-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 523006)
The engine temperature is controlled by the thermostat, together with the radiator and cooling fan. So even if there was a higher temperature in the combustion chamber, the cooling system should take care of that.

thanks for the reply

the temp is high when driving as well. Noticed crust around bottom of stat housing looks like small leak. also coolant is brown and cloudy i am going to do a cooling system flush this weekend, and change out stat and housing may check water pump impeller at same time.

will post result later

Frango100 11-28-2011 07:46 PM

When the coolant is browninsh, it really is time to change it and flush the system. This colour normally means that there is corrosion somewhere in the system. New coolant has rust inhibitors in it, but this additive looses its effectiveness over time.

PeterB16 11-28-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 523006)

I had the wrong heat range plugs in my WJ and once I changed it to the correct plugs, my overall engine temp was reduced.
It could be a plug with too high of a heat range. (if new plugs were installed)

jeepnuts 11-28-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterB16 (Post 523578)
I had the wrong heat range plugs in my WJ and once I changed it to the correct plugs, my overall engine temp was reduced.
It could be a plug with too high of a heat range. (if new plugs were installed)

good suggestion but these are the same plugs as installed 8 months ago, just cleaned and gapped. problem only shown up in last couple of weeks
thanks for the input:thumbsup: