Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   What other SUV brands did you consider? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/what-other-suv-brands-did-you-consider-31709.html)

armoredsaint 11-27-2011 09:56 PM

What other SUV brands did you consider?

just curious if anyone cross-shopped other brands or was Jeep your #1 choice all along?

Ford Explorer, Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pathfinder, Dodge Durango, BMW X3/5, Audi Q5 etc?

kazak 11-27-2011 10:06 PM

Re: What other SUV brands did you consider?

Coming from a Tacoma, I was sure I was going to drive the 4Runner but after a few test drives, I thought I'd better give a few others a quick look. The Pathfinder, Highlander, MDX, Q5 and the X5 were on the list and didn't even look at buying a Jeep (or any other non-American, American brand) until I happen to see a TV ad. An overnight test drive later, I was impressed enough to pull the trigger. I've only had it for a day but I'm really happy with it considering the price, amenities, and what I got for my trade.

Corp Cog 11-27-2011 10:12 PM

I considered/looked at/test drove several brands and models. I turned in a 2010 Outback Limited, which I considered and ruled out on a number of factors. Others, Ford Explorer, Audi Q5, and the only other real consideration was the Touareg TDI. I test drove the 2011 TDI Lux and the decision was in the air. I wasn't ready to order until September which meant I had to wait on the 2012 VW. VW decided to change the trim options, making Nav a separate otion, effectively raising the price, and based on that fact the obvious choice was the Jeep.

1200RT-P 11-27-2011 10:21 PM

in order of want (2nd to jeep, of course).

1) VW Touareg TDI - was just coming out in May when I got my jeep. lease factors not attractive. hard to find. great vehicle though.

2) Toyota 4Runner - great off road, not so great on road. very expensive for equipment. no nav available on lower trim levels. crappy lease.

3) Audi Q7 TDI - ended up being too expensive equipped how i wanted it. lease factors not attractive. also, seemed very big.

4) Ford Explorer - very hard to track down when i got my jeep. brand new vehicle. couldn't even find one to drive at the time.

5) Nissan X-Terra - this was a throw in because my jeep is my first automatic vehicle in years. I wanted a Pro4x with manual transmission. Several local dealers were unable to track one down. Also, lacking equipment, although price was right for equipment level.

jgc4ever 11-27-2011 10:34 PM

I considered and test drove the Porsche Cayenne. Really liked it, but the one that was closest to what I wanted didn't have bi-xenon headlights and it was a 2011. I didn't want to order a 2012 and wait several months, and wasn't quite ready to buy at the time, and decided to save some money and get a 2012 Overland Hemi instead. Actually the main reason I waited is the news of the new Jeep SRT8 came out, but then that price made me decide against it too.

peckmv 11-28-2011 04:21 AM

For me it was a short list. I had some "must haves" and some "like to have". The "must haves" were limited slip, V-8, 4x4, skid plates. The "like to have" were leather, heated seats, nav system, no center console, and no third seat. The only thing that wasn't on my wish list was no center console. JGC was the only one that fit the bill.:cool:

Swampy 11-28-2011 07:22 AM

From Australia, the short list for me was:

1) Audi Q7 - Beautiful looking car, cost big bucks to include a few nice extras.

2) Mercedes ML350 - OK, but every man and his dog has one here in Perth.

3) Ford Territory Titanium - Not enough features, model overdue for an update, then updated but Ford have ruined the styling of what was a great car.

4) Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland - Exceptional road presence, good value (even for Australian pricing circa AU$80k on the road with a couple of extras), many features and not that plentiful on the road in Perth. Something a little different.

And the winner is:

Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Hopefully will be delivered end of this week.

Tybalt39 11-28-2011 08:31 AM

Drove the:
Lincoln MKX
Toyota Highlander
Ford Explorer
Ford Edge
Kia Sorrento
Mitsubishi Outlander

Co-workers have the Lexus. Used it a few times.

Wanted soft interior surfaces (knocked Toyota, Edge, Kia, and Mitsu out of the running). Mitsu was too noisy on the road, too. Kia was out for no HID as well.
Wanted Panoramic sunroof (knocked Explorer out of the running).
MKX was $10K more expensive (got the JGC Overland w/saddle for the price of the Kia).
The Explorer and the Jeep had the best sound quality when using bluetooth pairing/phone (even though Edge and MKX have the same electronics as Explorer). No echo or muddy sound on the other end of the conversation.

AAAA 11-28-2011 08:31 AM

Big Subaru fan from the 70's and 80's as I had a fleet car for the past 24 years. But new Outback had/has unresolved harmonic vibration issues at highway speeds. Looked briefly at Explorer. WK2 fits my needs perfectly. Oh, I also wanted a vehicle without the 3rd row of seats which, surprisingly, is not common in this size vehicle.

GroupW 11-28-2011 09:06 AM

I knew I was getting an Overland but thought I'd do my homework and look at a few others first. I really wanted to buy American but looked at others too.

I test drove the following:
Lexus RX
Cadillac SRX
Chevy Tahoe
BMW X3
Nissan Murano
Infinity FX

SW03ES 11-28-2011 09:57 AM

We looked at a *lot* of vehicles:

Lexus RX
Nissan Murano
Chevy Equinox
BMW X3
Audi Q5
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Highlander
Ford Explorer
Ford Edge
Land Rover LR2
Subaru Outback
Kia Sorrento
Hyundai SantaFe
CPO Mercedes M350
CPO BMW X5

Over the course of 7-8 months...I really think the Jeep is a great value for the money.

WK2 Rover 11-28-2011 10:17 AM

Lexus GX - Hated to 2010 remodel
Range Rover Sport - Nice but I like the GC better, and a MUCH better value.
Cross-overs ... no thanks.