Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Off road ability with 20" wheels without selec-terrain (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/off-road-ability-with-20-wheels-without-selec-terrain-31731.html)

yshoef 11-28-2011 10:38 AM

Off road ability with 20" wheels without selec-terrain

Hi,
Looking to buy a specific GC Laredo X 70th anniversary.
It has no selec-Terrain knob and has 20" wheels.
Worried about it's offroad abilities becuase of the above.
Anyone had experience driving offroad with no Selec-Terrain ?
Cheers

Mendo 11-30-2011 03:17 AM

Re: Off road ability with 20" wheels without selec-terrain

How far off road do you want to go? I think no selec-terain = QT 1 This is pretty much a Tarmac spec car. The AWD will give you better traction especially in the wet but it is not an off road set up.

yshoef 11-30-2011 03:59 AM

Sorry, I didn't understand your initials QT, You mean the Selec-Terrain is not a must have but just nice to have? I was frustrated, it won't have that Knob, which also offers a more sporty like driving.
In off road, I mean bumpy un-paved roads I guess, I will not take it into sea sands or deep swamps.

Mendo 11-30-2011 04:27 AM

Sorry. QT1 = quadra trac I. It is essentially an 4wd system with no low range gear box.

See attached

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tcases.htm

It should be ok on bumpy unpaved roads. The 20" wheels aren't really good wheels for offroading you would be more prone to punctures and they are harder riding.

Repo503 12-01-2011 10:24 AM

Selec-Terrain doesnt do anything that driver skill wont...Your setup would be fine for mild dirt or gravel trails but anything more serious would require a smaller wheel with more tire sidewall, and after that a low range.

Technosavant 12-01-2011 12:11 PM

It isn't necessarily the lack of Selec-Terrain that gets you. It's what that lack means. But to really explain it, a little foundation first...

There's three different four wheel drive systems on the WK2:
1) Quadra-Trac 1- full time AWD, front/rear torque split fixed at 50/50, single speed transfer case (no 4x4 LOW range). Selec-Terrain is not offered with QT1.
2) Quadra-Trac 2- full time AWD, front/rear torque split is variable, two speed transfer case (there is a low range). QT2 is where you pick up Selec-Terrain.
3) Quadra-Drive 2- basically, QT2 with a rear electronic limited slip differential (instead of using the brakes to limit slip as with QT2). Only available on Hemi models (and even then not all of them), still has Selec-Terrain.

Short version is that without Selec-Terrain, you have Quadra-Trac 1, which is NOT intended for anything approaching serious off roading. You're likely also missing tow hooks and skid plates, which can be added, but without a low range you may find yourself rather limited in what you can do. You also don't have the hill descent control (useful on very steep descents).

And this is all before the 20" wheels... there just aren't any all terrain tires for these because it's pretty much screaming aloud for a bent rim if you go crawling over rocks.

In short, the vehicle you're looking at is a an on-road or soft road SUV (you'd be hard pressed to go anywhere something like a Ford Explorer won't). If you want off roading ability, you need something equipped differently.

yshoef 12-05-2011 06:19 AM

Thanks for the imformative reply.