Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Classic Oil Change Mess Up (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/classic-oil-change-mess-up-31765.html)

GroupW 11-28-2011 08:37 PM

Classic Oil Change Mess Up

Decided to do a service on my new 2011 Overland. I planned on taking about 20 minutes to complete the oil change. I've done a zillion of these but this time I messed up. I was in such a hurry that I forgot to check the rubber gasket on the original filter. The filter came off but the gasket stayed on the car. I put my new filter over the old gasket and tightened it down. Once I finished my service and started the engine. Well, I blew 6 quarts of oil all over my driveway. Ouch! Had to go back to Pep Boys and buy another filter and more oil. It took me another 2 hours to clean my driveway and clear away the oil.

armoredsaint 11-28-2011 09:04 PM

Re: Classic Oil Change Mess Up

Mancard revoked.

moosehead 11-28-2011 09:23 PM

Good humor always welcome. Beats another WTF battery thread. Just saying.

Manning up publicly to your JG brothers about the fack up should get your card back (though my wife would never let me off the hook).

brandont 11-28-2011 09:43 PM

Ooof, that's a rough one! Hopefully you had a bag of kitty litter handy.

KuroHouou 11-29-2011 09:31 AM

Good info to post so no one else does the same thing!

webspoke 11-29-2011 09:38 AM

At least you knew what the problem was. Had that happen at a dealer oil change on my old f250, those hold about 4 gal. of oil, lost half or more on the way out of the dealer!

GroupW 11-29-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredsaint (Post 523609)
Mancard revoked.

Thanks. I really need the validation of strangers on the internet to feel like a man. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 523627)
Good humor always welcome. Beats another WTF battery thread. Just saying.

Manning up publicly to your JG brothers about the fack up should get your card back (though my wife would never let me off the hook).

Gotta laugh or get pissed off. Just a stupid mistake. Lesson learned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 523637)
Ooof, that's a rough one! Hopefully you had a bag of kitty litter handy.

Real men don't have cats. Just ask the dude who renews our mancards.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by KuroHouou (Post 523876)
Good info to post so no one else does the same thing!

Exactly why I posted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by webspoke (Post 523878)
At least you knew what the problem was. Had that happen at a dealer oil change on my old f250, those hold about 4 gal. of oil, lost half or more on the way out of the dealer!

A stupid mistake when I do it; an idiotic mistake when a dealer does it. At least I had 1 quart left in the engine.

AAAA 11-29-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroupW (Post 523593)
Decided to do a service on my new 2011 Overland. I planned on taking about 20 minutes to complete the oil change. I've done a zillion of these but this time I messed up. I was in such a hurry that I forgot to check the rubber gasket on the original filter. The filter came off but the gasket stayed on the car. I put my new filter over the old gasket and tightened it down. Once I finished my service and started the engine. Well, I blew 6 quarts of oil all over my driveway. Ouch! Had to go back to Pep Boys and buy another filter and more oil. It took me another 2 hours to clean my driveway and clear away the oil.

Ouch. Actually, there was a post several months ago from someone warning of just that. :eek:

Bmwister 11-29-2011 10:29 AM

Well look at it this way: you thoroughly changed out the break-in contaminants by doing the oil change twice.

sbraun 11-29-2011 10:40 AM

My experience with two oil changes with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the 3.6 V6 is that the O Ring removal and replacement on the cap that holds the filter cartridge is the most difficult part of the oil change process. It is difficult to get the old O Ring off the cap and to fit the new one on. I also found the location and small intake size on the engine oil pipe dictates that you must have a funnel or risk spilling oil over the engine. The shroud over the engine also makes the process more difficult. I have often wondered whether the shroud found on most modern engines has any socially redeeming value or is just decorative?

BuckeyeSRT 11-29-2011 11:07 AM

Interesting, I have been doing oil changes for a long time as well. I have not had the gasket stick since my 1986 Mustang SVO in 1986. Sure enough when changing my oil this weekend the gasket stuck on the 5.7. I am glad I caught it because 6+ quarts of Pennzoil Platinum is expensive.

brandont 11-29-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroupW (Post 523889)
Real men don't have cats. Just ask the dude who renews our mancards.:D

I don't have a cat either, just 2 Boxers and they wouldn't use a litter box even if I had one. I do however have a bag of kitty litter in the garage for just such an occasion. Being prepared = Man card upgrade. :-)